DBAN: Darik's Boot and Nuke

Have you ever DBAN'd a drive? (Some will know this joke).

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DBAN >> http://www.dban.org

Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is free erasure software designed for consumer use. DBAN users should be aware of some product limitations, including:​
    • No guarantee that data is removed
    • Limited hardware support (e.g. no RAID dismantling)
    • No customer support
DBAN is a self-contained boot disk that automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect. This method can help prevent identity theft before recycling a computer. It is also a solution commonly used to remove viruses and spyware from Microsoft Windows installations. DBAN prevents all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis. It does not provide users with a proof of erasure, such as an audit-ready erasure report.

Professional data erasure tools are recommended for company and organizational users.
KoluJLH.jpg

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
ok i'll fall for this joke what ever it is lol

yes i have used Darik's Boot and Nuke to nuke hard drives and it takes a long time

then after i erased the hd it would not boot from my Xp cd lol it said

"Press F1 to retry boot, press F2 for setup menu." and just would not boot from the
Xp cd

so i had to use Gparted to create a new partition table before i could get the pc
to boot from my Xp cd

and i hope this is not a bad joke lol

:)

James

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
James- no joke here. It's what I always use prior to disposing of a hard drive. You shouldn't view it as a utility, but instead as the last program your drive will ever run.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.