Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Early in July 2021, I reviewed the Dev Build of Windows 11. I was underwhelmed on so many levels. The new operating system, if it can be called that, was raw, unfinished, and came with a slew of bugs and ergonomic annoyances. But that was then. Since, this thing has been officially released, and it even received a handful of big, critical patches, designed to help resolve some of the early problems.

With optimism, nay jadedness of heart, I set about testing Windows 11 with a fresh outlook. After all, six months and change is a lot of time to resolve various issues, and give users, hopefully, a decent experience. The reason why I'm doing this so-called milestone article rather than a more "streamlined" update is that I feel no need whatsoever to be using or testing Windows 11. I find it totally unnecessary, and will not be using it on my serious systems. But test we shall, and report thus.
Conclusion

Very little has changed since Windows 11 Dev Build. The official version plus updates doesn't seem to resolve anything of practical value to me, and I have zero need or patience for shiny gimmicks aimed at the touch crowd and assorted low-IQ mouthbreathers. For instance, the taskbar icon grouping is another regression compared to Windows 11. And let me not get started on the whole TPM and the rest of it.

My only question is what happens in 2025. I believe I will keep one or two unsupported Windows 10 boxes around for non-essential stuff, like gaming, and then move the rest of my workloads to Linux. It will be a compromise in some aspects, but then, I'm glad Windows 11 came around and unshackled me from my dread of having no choice but to stay with Windows, come what may. So far, since Windows 3.11, I've been largely content with the available functionality, but this is it. The spell has been broken. Well, that future eventuality should be an interesting journey of its own. For now, there you have it, my six-month diatribe. That Explorer performance fix article is coming shortly. Take care.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Very thoughtfully written, as usual but his experiences seem a little more negative than mine--likely because he gave 11 more of an in-depth workout. A lot of it is still makeup and cosmetics after all. Promises, promises--here's hoping for more substance and less filler and fluff.

11's OK, provided you don't poke at it too much. :)

L

Local Host

Very thoughtfully written, as usual but his experiences seem a little more negative than mine--likely because he gave 11 more of an in-depth workout. A lot of it is still makeup and cosmetics after all. Promises, promises--here's hoping for more substance and less filler and fluff.

11's OK, provided you don't poke at it too much. :)
Windows 11 is the first Windows version I can say is a huge regression, and I been at it for decades. If anything is comparable to Windows ME in terms of stability.

Adding insult to injury the system is even more half-baked than Windows 10, at least Windows 10 managed to be consistent somewhat with a few rough edges, but Windows 11 doesn't even try to hide it anymore.

I'm among the first adopt new versions of Windows with no complains (incl. the hated Windows Vista, which I loved), but in the case of Windows 11 is the first time in years I cannot recommend it to anyone.

I fear Windows 10 is going to turn into the new Windows XP, and considering Microsoft recent track record there's nothing they can do about it this time, unless they change their whole Windows Team and make a consistent and stable system (chances of that happening are below 1%).

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Not my experiences at all. I consider 11 better in the following ways.
  • I consider the UI facelift a pro
  • DoH available for any server now
  • Win11 is more stable
  • Windows Security is better; more stable, responsive, and scans faster
  • Window snapping has been improved
  • Windows itself is actually smaller
  • New Action Center is better
  • Android Apps Support in Windows 11

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Not my experiences at all. I consider 11 better in the following ways.
  • I consider the UI facelift a pro
  • DoH available for any server now
  • Win11 is more stable
  • Windows Security is better; more stable, responsive, and scans faster
  • Window snapping has been improved
  • Windows itself is actually smaller
  • New Action Center is better
  • Android Apps Support in Windows 11

I couldnt say any better, thats my impressions as well (y)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Win11 is more stable

Not for me. More app crashes/shutdown/hardware errors compared to Win10 (21H2), it was pretty rare to see app crashes on Win10. I am using reliability history to compare app crashes, its was squeaky clean in Win10.

After every hour or so UI sometimes lag out of nowhere. There is a bug where UI lags when you click on volume icon after every boot (sometimes happen when system is left idle for sometime).See in the video

IMO only positive so far is that it looks nice. They released it 6 months before it should have been released, first 6 months of Win10 when it was released were even worse than this. only reason I am not moving back to Win10 is I don't wanna clean install one more time. I have old system image with Win10 installed but it's filled with bloatware from Asus, which is even worse than UI bugs.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I read the article, & disagree with most of it, having used 11 continually for over seven months on Dev & Beta on two Ryzen chip & boards, + memory - I find 11 a needed improvement on 10. Interesting how the article was critical of 11 in Dev & a month into it makes me wonder if people understand what expectations from beta or Dev OS (or any program) are? I feel if you decide you dislike something you will probably stay that way & maybe vice-versa.

I had few bugs in the beginning, green flash & unable to save themes etc but now zero issues for some time, although I had few if any major issues & no crashes from the beginning - Attention to decent cooling, a good PSU not a £15 Amazon extra all make a difference, there has to be a reason this PC & the one before it is rock solid & a pleasure to use & others have continual problems. I don't know what the reason is? Most who say they moving over to Linux never do (me included) which explains in the home market Linux remains a low percentage - Like local Host I've used windows from the beginning & built PC's for well over 20 years but my experience is somewhat different - I feel it's fashionable in PC circles to be critical of 11 - All my opinion only :rolleyes::rolleyes:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Not for me. More app crashes/shutdown/hardware errors compared to Win10 (21H2), it was pretty rare to see app crashes on Win10. I am using reliability history to compare app crashes, its was squeaky clean in Win10.

After every hour or so UI sometimes lag out of nowhere. There is a bug where UI lags when you click on volume icon after every boot (sometimes happen when system is left idle for sometime).See in the video

IMO only positive so far is that it looks nice. They released it 6 months before it should have been released, first 6 months of Win10 when it was released were even worse than this. only reason I am not moving back to Win10 is I don't wanna clean install one more time. I have old system image with Win10 installed but it's filled with bloatware from Asus, which is even worse than UI bugs.

That's odd. I don't experience any of that.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I dunno, I'm enjoying it so far. Its faster than windows 10 (on my machine atleast) and the facelift was a huge plus IMO

So, I'm happy so far.

I honestly think pretty much any upgrade microsoft pushes out is usually always negative at first. because (once again IMO) there fanbase isnt quite as...dedicated as Apples lol

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have to agree with above posts giving W11 the (y)(y) for most of the reasons given, although I've only used it a few days. I found it easier to configure on new installation. Some of the UI issues like context menus are outweighed greatly by the overall improvements. Many settings e.g., like changing network profile are now much easier to change.

Indeed, the new design has been made in part for the touchscreen user and M$ hasn't made the complete switch to fluent design but they're getting there.

Dedo is Dedo. He's opinionated but I often find some of his old grouchy guy rants quite amusing. :D

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I dunno, I'm enjoying it so far. Its faster than windows 10 (on my machine atleast) and the facelift was a huge plus IMO

So, I'm happy so far.

I honestly think pretty much any upgrade microsoft pushes out is usually always negative at first. because (once again IMO) there fanbase isnt quite as...dedicated as Apples lol
I am happy as well with windows 11. It's faster & prettier than 10 (for me). I had animations & other visual changes off in windows 10 due to performance issues but not in 11.
I've been using windows 11 for more than 5 months now & it has improved from it's initial view. I like most of the new features.

Side note: Apple has cult-base (not fanbase) & Windows has critics.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014

Hit the nail on the head lol

I've used Windows, MacOS and Linux and I appriciate all three for what they do differently.
But the cult-like following of Apple is just utterly annoying IMO

but because I'm a PC gamer in my free time, Windows it is for me :)
plus this PC has enough horse power to pump out multi-media content if need be :)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I am happy as well with windows 11. It's faster & prettier than 10 (for me). I had animations & other visual changes off in windows 10 due to performance issues but not in 11.
I've been using windows 11 for more than 5 months now & it has improved from it's initial view. I like most of the new features.

(y)(y)(y)

The user experience of Apple Operating Systems is terrible. I don' t like its application driven interface. I prefer the click on a document and let the OS decide which application to open. I also like touch screens on laptops. The lack of touch screen support on MacBook's is also very annoying, why would anyone in his right mind buy an overpriced laptop with previous century screen technology?

Although I use Linux also (Manjaro) I can understand how lost the average Linux user feels with Windows, hassle free hardware support and drivers (graphics card, sound and Wifi), no need to spend an afternoon tweaking the settings and desktop. When I buy a car I am not changing my dashboard or fit another steering wheel, so why would I want to do that for my PC?

Windows 11 feels like a slightly better version of Windows 10 (a little faster, file explorer menu is a lot easier to use).

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Its faster than windows 10 (on my machine at least)
Same here. The lack of customization options for the taskbar is fairly easily solved by using one of the various third-party tools, hacks and apps that are available, some free and some inexpensively priced, so anyone with moderate computer skills and/or $5 should be able to handle the challenge. Yeah, we shouldn't have to hack the system just to make it usable, but that's just a complaint, no more than that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.