Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Tony Cole: Deep Web are websites that are not been caught by the search engines even they use index as possible, but you can access easily with your standard browser.

Meanwhile Dark Web where you need an instrument like TOR in order to access the protected area content since these are known to be underground operation of illegal activities and other unusual stuff.

Reactions: mal1 and Sana

kaddy

Level 2
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
@Tony Cole: Deep Web are websites that are not been caught by the search engines even they use index as possible, but you can access easily with your standard browser.

Meanwhile Dark Web where you need an instrument like TOR in order to access the protected area content since these are known to be underground operation of illegal activities and other unusual stuff.
tor doesn't necessarily only contain illegal stuff; I am a tor user. there is some illegal stuff, not denying it. i try to avoid illicit stuff

Reactions: Andytay70 and Sana

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
tor doesn't necessarily only contain illegal stuff; I am a tor user. there is some illegal stuff, not denying it. i try to avoid illicit stuff
TOR is not illegal,what @jamescv7 is saying that you need the anonymity that TOR provides to access the Dark Web.
Best advice would be not to go there.The anonymity it provides works both ways and it is monitored.It would be a shame to be on the radar out of curiosity or worse yet the target of those who are there for specific reasons.
TOR and similar services are perfectly fine for one who is concerned and vigilant in maintaining their right to privacy.However these programs are exploited by,as in this article,cyber criminals as well as cyber terrorist who live in the dark web.

kaddy

Level 2
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
TOR is not illegal,what @jamescv7 is saying that you need the anonymity that TOR provides to access the Dark Web.
Best advice would be not to go there.The anonymity it provides works both ways and it is monitored.It would be a shame to be on the radar out of curiosity or worse yet the target of those who are there for specific reasons.
TOR and similar services are perfectly fine for one who is concerned and vigilant in maintaining their right to privacy.However these programs are exploited by,as in this article,cyber criminals as well as cyber terrorist who live in the dark web.
I understood his point. If you are vigilant on the Clearnet, be doubly so on the deep web. Lot of C&C servers for bots run through it. thats why it is harder to take the botnets down now. All you have to do is look at CryptoWall and prevalent ransomware now, to see the trend is Onion routing. It is harder to track, and links can be changed quickly.

very true, about the criminals though, due to how difficult it is to monitor, it attracts a lot of not so nice individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
So how does a search engine not get a hold of the deep web? Is it like, it cannot DIR the website or something like that?
I need to read more on this!

kaddy

Level 2
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
So how does a search engine not get a hold of the deep web? Is it like, it cannot DIR the website or something like that?
I need to read more on this!
that or maybe so many sites its hard to index them all.

Reactions: Sana

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
that or maybe so many sites its hard to index them all.
Exactly!
You will not get site information from your usual browser concerning the Deep/Dark web or whatever you want to call it!
Furthermore the sites there are encrypted and only available via Tor!
Even then you need to know what you are looking for,otherwise keep well away as you will be hacked very quickly!!
You can even be redirected to very unsavoury sites like "Hard Candy",which can get you arrested!!

Having said that,there are "legitimate" sites!
Snowden and others use the Dark Web to post information/leaks etc
I posted an image here ages ago but it gives you the general idea:
3F3.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Sana: Well its a design nature alreawhere Dark Web is restricted at all search engines to index them considering the special URL to prevent any access instantly.

+ Search engines bots will only activate if the webmasters insist to download the addons for SEO.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.