Deep Freeze Vs. Shadow Defender?

bobby holla

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
Hi am bobby here. I have been running a malware test through Virtual machine but the usage of it slows down my laptop so i though trying programs like Deep Freeze and Shadow Defender. can anyone here please advice me on which is best for doing a malware test.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The most secure environment for malware testing is the virtual machine that does not contain personal data because it is specifically set up for this work.
Shadow Defender virtualizes the current session, but your personal data are accessible and at risk if a malware has the ability to send them on a remote server.
I use SD (not for malware testing) but I haven't experience on Deep Freeze even if I believe it works in similar way as SD.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Hi am bobby here. I have been running a malware test through Virtual machine but the usage of it slows down my laptop so i though trying programs like Deep Freeze and Shadow Defender. can anyone here please advice me on which is best for doing a malware test.
Are you running the VM off your main HDD? If so, moving it to a secondary drive should help improve overall system performance. Also I would recommend to never do any malware testing outside of a VM environment.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
HI

Just asking. Is Time Freeze a freeware or a shareware. MajorGeeks shows freeware but its TF website did not indicate so. And some other website says it's shareware.

Thanks

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
HI

Just asking. Is Time Freeze a freeware or a shareware. MajorGeeks shows freeware but its TF website did not indicate so. And some other website says it's shareware.

Thanks

It is free.

Differences with TF and SD vs DF. With TF and SD, you can exclude folders and files in drive C:. Not possible with DF unless you use Data Igloo.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Reboot Restore Rx. Freeware is comparable (feature wise) to Deep Freeze; so why spend money on Deep Freeze when you can do it for free.

Another choice is RollBack, also very good.

Not to say other programs are bad, but might as well save money where you can.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Shadow Defender as it can exclude files/folders and protect other drives.
Lets say you protect a partition with SD(ex: D), do an image restore on C:, upon reboot you'll see D: is still in shadow mode...your files and backups are still protected.

Last edited:

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
This might be a bit off topic, and seem like a bit of a stupid question, but can Shadow Defender be used for everyday browsing or is it mainly used when testing different programs and such?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
It was maid for everyday browsing and for security , not for testing.

Majority of the PCs here at the shop have either SD, DF or TF. Only two workstations are not frozen. At our annex, all but one is Frozen. And that's the setup for everyday use. I don't do malware testing there.

In case those PC's got infected, a simple reboot is a solution to get rid of malwares.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.