New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, here is the new DefenderUI Pro 1.04 beta. There were TONS of changes under the hood, so I am certain you guys will find something we need to adjust.

DefenderUIPro 1.04 beta
SHA-256: 1d519bc5c24e0949d00c14ae23d21178f766c9f82bd80d8189c2a7b3d6fb8b2c

Thank you guys, have a great weekend!

Dan

L

Local Host

Most applications in my experience require double-click to open the application itself. Whereas a single-click would open a context menu on the icon itself within the tray.
I don't know what applications you talking about, by Microsoft API standards, one click to open and right click for content menu.

Unless you talking software coded back in 2004, feel free to try with Microsoft own tray icons.

There no point in having two buttons doing the same.

Plus I also agree with @oldschool is counter productive to have VS disable itself with one click, this should be done through context menu like all the other security software.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know what applications you talking about, by Microsoft API standards, one click to open and right click for content menu.

Unless you talking software coded back in 2004, feel free to try with Microsoft own tray icons.

There no point in having two buttons doing the same.

Plus I also agree with @oldschool is counter productive to have VS disable itself with one click, this should be done through context menu like all the other security software.
I can't speak for other people, of course, since everyone's uses may vary. But it is, what it is. It's still common among modern day coding, whether it's acceptable or not is upto everyone's personal opinion. To name a few in my tray right now besides DefenderUI being HWinfo64, AMD adrenaline, powertoys and Steam. The vast majority of applications on my machine are being of the behaviour of one-click either opening context menu or doing nothing, while double-click opens the applications itself and well right-click being the obvious context menu.

I have no programs stemming from 2004 or even in the 2010's (and remain unupdated). It is what it is, and it's remain unchanged for me since the XP era so far with all the applications I have used. Same thing being the "default" behaviour for applications on machines I manage for family as well for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and Trooper
L

Local Host

I can't speak for other people, of course, since everyone's uses may vary. But it is, what it is. It's still common among modern day coding, whether it's acceptable or not is upto everyone's personal opinion. To name a few in my tray right now besides DefenderUI being HWinfo64, AMD adrenaline, powertoys and Steam. The vast majority of applications on my machine are being of the behaviour of one-click either opening context menu or doing nothing, while double-click opens the applications itself and well right-click being the obvious context menu.

I have no programs stemming from 2004 or even in the 2010's (and remain unupdated). It is what it is, and it's remain unchanged for me since the XP era so far with all the applications I have used. Same thing being the "default" behaviour for applications on machines I manage for family as well for years.
If AMD Adrenaline is opening Context Menu when you left click it, your setup may be corrupt, as for the others, they all ancient Software that haven't been updated to modern standards.

Reactions: Nevi and Trooper

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If AMD Adrenaline is opening Context Menu when you left click it, your setup may be corrupt, as for the others, they all ancient Software that haven't been updated to modern standards.
Sounds like we have to agree, to disagree. ;)

As for AMD, its been like that since the "new" adrenaline 2022 incarnation. No idea why they keep changing things.

L

Local Host

Sounds like we have to agree, to disagree. ;)

As for AMD, its been like that since the "new" adrenaline 2022 incarnation. No idea why they keep changing things.
I'm using it right now and it only opens the context menu when I right click, as it should.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Hey guys, here is the new DefenderUI Pro 1.04 beta. There were TONS of changes under the hood, so I am certain you guys will find something we need to adjust.

DefenderUIPro 1.04 beta
SHA-256: 1d519bc5c24e0949d00c14ae23d21178f766c9f82bd80d8189c2a7b3d6fb8b2c

Thank you guys, have a great weekend!

Dan
Hi Dan, many thanks again for the update, no issues on 3 machines here, about the only issue is the same i had with 1.03 where whitlistcloud analyzing can never complete, have kept window there for around 5 minutes and no change...clicking more info,
wlc104.png

it just says "analyzing" and never appears to change.... behavious the same on 3 x win11 machines and this from win10 testvm.
for this part to work, do we need to manually install the standalone WLC app?
Cheers!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, here is 1.05 beta. This version should fix most of the issues from the massive code changes. This version may or may not fix the prompt that is stuck on analyzing, but if it does not it is an easy fix. It would be even easier if you could send me the steps to reproduce the block where the prompt is stuck on analyzing.

Also, if DefenderUI blocks something silently or unexpected, can you please look in the Windows Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Applications, and send me the events that are blocked?

DefenderUIPro 1.05 beta
SHA-256: 81a46c5e6ce0cd05d1449723e45de326af1a1d0de01d78434c3188eb5d1fd865

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Hey guys, here is 1.05 beta. This version should fix most of the issues from the massive code changes. This version may or may not fix the prompt that is stuck on analyzing, but if it does not it is an easy fix. It would be even easier if you could send me the steps to reproduce the block where the prompt is stuck on analyzing.

Also, if DefenderUI blocks something silently or unexpected, can you please look in the Windows Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Applications, and send me the events that are blocked?

DefenderUIPro 1.05 beta
SHA-256: 81a46c5e6ce0cd05d1449723e45de326af1a1d0de01d78434c3188eb5d1fd865
Hi Dan, thanks again, updated my 3 machines here and will keep an eye out again for any silent blocks

as for the WC analyzer not doing anything, I think i have found something, & it looks to be related to how the malware/sample is ran, in the test below windows defender realtime is disabled, so the only protection is DuiPro.
When ran from commandline, it will just say whitelistcloud analyzing forever.... it never completes
When ran normally (just by double clicking the sample) - by the time i have clicked "more info" it is already reported as not safe
**its not only this one sample that does it... must be related to the way its ran? (command prompt in administrator mode) v's double clicking?

105-cmd.png

or if ran normally (by just double clicking the sample) Whitelistcloud is immediatly reporting it as not safe
105-manual.png

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
also another example of WLC analyzing is when running direct from browser
e.g II downloaded the rufus 3.20 beta from Index of /downloads

if i run the .exe direct from the browser (brave) , DUIPro pos up asking to allow... pressing on "more info". WLC just stays on "Analyzing" and never completes

if i close the browser, and launch the .exe directly through explorer, rufus runs fine (not even prompted by DuiPro)

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you guys! This version should fix all reported issues, but if not please let me know! If you do see any other prompts that are stuck on analyzing, please send me a screenshot of the block, with the RuleID at the bottom right.

DefenderUIPro 1.06
SHA-256: c70ac8f90a66970222ee096d3896dd4e9c37fff3edeb33ea3d9b8aad4d8fa2ea

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Thank you guys! This version should fix all reported issues, but if not please let me know! If you do see any other prompts that are stuck on analyzing, please send me a screenshot of the block, with the RuleID at the bottom right.

DefenderUIPro 1.06
SHA-256: c70ac8f90a66970222ee096d3896dd4e9c37fff3edeb33ea3d9b8aad4d8fa2ea
Hi Dan thanks!
Been running with 1.05 all day on 3 machines and had no silent blocks or weirdness... so was a definite improvement.

Ive just updated to 1.06 and confirm the WLC thing is fixed (at least when running samples through command prompt & doing the rufus test from brave browser) so all looking good!
Thanks so much!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you guys, all of the reported issues and unwanted blocks have been fixed in 1.07.

There is also a new feature (from VS) called "Automatically allow new items that match existing digital signature", which will dramatically lower unwanted blocks.

So this version should be pretty much good to go, but if you find anything please let me know, thank you guys!

DefenderUIPro 1.07
SHA-256: 35a4ca08c09cf26778de7f1306573d175c0583d2c760e082f9bb5d0446f20684

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.