New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just a fun fact regarding how DefenderUIPro 1.07 (installed with Recommended Profile) will now handle signed malware. As we know, malware can either be unsigned (most common), signed but certificate revoked, or signed with valid certificate but without countersignature. DefenderUIPro gives alerts for each as follows:

1). Unsigned (common):
1ns.png
2). Signed but certificate revoked (unusual):
1snv.png

3). Signed, certificate valid but without countersignature (fortunately quite rare):
1sv.png

Note that when these files are initially executed one can see the WhiteCloud entry showing "analyzing" prior to a judgement being made. I'm certainly not aware of any other security product that differentiates a signed baddies like this.

Really nice work, Dan!

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Don't know in which version it first happened, but somehow 'Update signatures' doesn't update. I need to hit the button to update my signatures. If I wait, they simply do not update.
That's odd. Have you tried to reset the signatures?

Reactions: [correlate]

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@cruelsister If the third file is malware could you run it with VS on default settings please (the one with the whitelist cloud verdict "safe")? I'm interested what the result would be.
Whenever there is an issue with the sig, VS and DefenderUI Pro should block the file. And actually VS would have a better description on why it blocked the file and better user recommendations. At some point we probably should build out the user prompt in DefenderUI more, to provide more file insight and better user recommendations.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Whenever there is an issue with the sig, VS and DefenderUI Pro should block the file. And actually VS would have a better description on why it blocked the file and better user recommendations. At some point we probably should build out the user prompt in DefenderUI more, to provide more file insight and better user recommendations.
Thanks Dan. I was curious what would happen with VS and the WLC default "Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items when OFF or AutoPilot". Because for me it seemed like WLC said file 3 is safe (if it was malware).

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thanks Dan. I was curious what would happen with VS and the WLC default "Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items when OFF or AutoPilot". Because for me it seemed like WLC said file 3 is safe (if it was malware).
Yeah, if there is an issue with the sig, VS and DefenderUI Pro should both block the file, even if WLC returns a Safe verdict.

If CS has time to test VS as well, that would be great just to confirm, but we know DefenderUI Pro blocked all three because CS said "DefenderUIPro gives alerts for each as follows:". Either way, that last sample is certainly a tricky sample ;).

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As I was also interested in how VS would handle things I went into the Magniber annex of my Zoo and plucked out 20 samples (some validly signed, some signed with the certificate revoked, some regular riff-raff and a few slightly modded). Of these 20 VS immediately (kinds-sorta immediately as for a few it took some extra seconds to "think") detected 15 as malware; the remaining 5 resulted in a couldn't identify popup (which had to be over-ridden in order to execute, which is not an optimal decision to make)). I then rebooted the system and ran those 5 again- this time they were recognized as malware with identical alerts to the pre-boot 15..

Anyway, that Malware item that I noted earlier for DefenderUI Pro (valid signature but no counter) resulted in this:

vs.png

And as a change of pace I tried out a Strrat signed by Microsoft (Countersigned but revoked a bit ago):

msft.png

But in short, VS protects as should be expected.

M

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
On the other hand @danb is it possible to put "tips" or an analysis for JS and VBS attacks? VS blocks them, but it's not very explicit for a novice :/
You know, I have never thought about that before, but it would make a lot of sense to include info for the end user based on file type, thank you for the suggestion! And actually, I have been wanting to tweak the prompts a little anyway, to make them even more clear to the user, so now would be a good time. Maybe we can start with some photoshop mockups and once we have the design just right I will implement the changes. If anyone has any suggestions on how we can optimize the prompts, please let me know! Maybe we can have a button that says something like "Should I allow or block this?" or "Help me decide", and that would initiate a wizard similar to the VS Rules Wizard?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
So did it work? If not, I am sure there is a fix out there somewhere.

filx

Aug 6, 2022
Hello, i have a question. does ASR rules works if I have another antivirus installed? all ASR settings in DefenderUI are on as I want. On microsoft doc they say that i need live protection for ASR, but putting on the setting ' Limited periodic scanning (LPS)' in microsoft Defender i managed to change DefenderUI setting. How can i see if it worked or it is a bug?

ASR rules dependencies​

Microsoft Defender Antivirus must be enabled and configured as primary anti-virus solution, and must be in the following mode:

• Primary antivirus/antimalware solution
  • State: Active mode
Microsoft Defender Antivirus must not be in any of the following modes:

• Passive
  • Passive Mode with Endpoint detection and response (EDR) in Block Mode
  • Limited periodic scanning (LPS)
  • Off

Thanks in advance and excuse for my odd question :)

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hello, i have a question. does ASR rules works if I have another antivirus installed? all ASR settings in DefenderUI are on as I want. On microsoft doc they say that i need live protection for ASR, but putting on the setting ' Limited periodic scanning (LPS)' in microsoft Defender i managed to change DefenderUI setting. How can i see if it worked or it is a bug?

ASR rules dependencies​

Microsoft Defender Antivirus must be enabled and configured as primary anti-virus solution, and must be in the following mode:
  • Primary antivirus/antimalware solution
  • State: Active mode
Microsoft Defender Antivirus must not be in any of the following modes:

• Passive
  • Passive Mode with Endpoint detection and response (EDR) in Block Mode
  • Limited periodic scanning (LPS)
  • Off

Thanks in advance and excuse for my odd question :)
If you have a third party AV installed and it is set to be your primary security provider, when you install DefenderUI you will see this prompt...

DefenderUI Prompt.PNG

As you pointed out, if a third party AV is set to be your primary security provider, then MD will disable itself.

In short, if you are using a third party AV as your primary security provider, you do not need DefenderUI. For more info, please click the following link, thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.