Battle DefenseWall HIPS vs. COMODO Defense+

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Both, they act in the same way, but they need the user knowledge. If you block everything you will be never infected, if you allow all you will.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Hugh difference. 64 bit support. Also any HIPS product doesn't really protect you. It just asks "Do you want to allow this? Yes or No". That is not protection that is merely a question.

DefenseWall 64 bit Edition = Doesn't exist
Comdo D+ 64 bit Edition = Does exist

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Maximus said:
Hugh difference. 64 bit support. Also any HIPS product doesn't really protect you. It just asks "Do you want to allow this? Yes or No". That is not protection that is merely a question.

But HIPS notifies you about things that you don't notice by yourself. And your brain protects you. :D

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus said:
Also any HIPS product doesn't really protect you. It just asks "Do you want to allow this? Yes or No". That is not protection that is merely a question.

I see an HIPS more like a bodyguard, someone knock at your door (a legit exe or a malware), he will check the his list or call you (your knowledge, the whitelist, etc...), and if not authorized it will kick him (block).

it is, IMO, still a protection.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Maximus said:

But HIPS notifies you about things that you don't notice by yourself. And your brain protects you. :D

Depends upon the brain which you are speaking of. An average user brain cannot use a HIPS product. Do you honestly think your Mother or Father would know how to answer "abc.exe is trying to access a protected com interface. Do you want to allow or deny it?"

Umbra...........I see a HIPS product as an annoyance. Like a nagging girl friend or a whining little bratty kid you wont shut up. Lol

When your antivirus pops up and tells you it deleted and removed some malware. Thats based on detection and facts. Its not based on default/deny user input.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
When your antivirus pops up and tells you it deleted and removed some malware. Thats based on detection and facts. Its not based on default/deny user input.

Why wait on the AV to let something into your system and possibly access your files before it deletes it and or removes it if it can, when you can stop it in it's tracks with a HIPS... ;)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
Maximus said:

Why wait on the AV to let something into your system and possibly access your files before it deletes it and or removes it if it can, when you can stop it in it's tracks with a HIPS... ;)

Your forgetting how security works. Your av is the first step in protection. Then everything else comes into play. And unless you have the knowledge and understanding of how to answer the pop up from your HIPS its meaningless. Could I install CIS and use it effectively? Of course. But I refuse to baby sit my security on a daily basis.

People are misinterpreting a HIPS pop up from an actually malware detection. So many people are happy to see a pop up. They think "Wow.......My security is working". But just because you get a pop up doesn't mean a thing unless you click "block". I hate pop ups. I do not feel a security product should nag you. It should just work.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Maximus said:
Depends upon the brain which you are speaking of. An average user brain cannot use a HIPS product. Do you honestly think your Mother or Father would know how to answer "abc.exe is trying to access a protected com interface. Do you want to allow or deny it?"
What app. could your parents start that would generate that alert from COMODO HIPS? I've told you this in another thread... Can you give us examples for your statsmantes ?What world-wide used app would generate that alert from D+??? I had it on my system (and I have a ton of apps+games) and I didn't see an alert from COMODO......
If you can't give us facts than please don't bash a product just because you don't like the developers.

Now back to the topic and please when posting consider the fact that you are in the WAR ROOM so don't talk about just one product.. Compare them so we can't find an answer for our question........ I would go with the Comodo Firewall because of a major weakness in DefenseWall , it can't run on 64bits....And yes , because Defensewall is a paid product while COMODO is free , I know that for us who are only speaking theoretically, this aspect doesn't really matter but in the real world it sort of does....

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
There are no apps on a computer first of all. Apps are on a phone. Secondly Comodo's white list is still very small therefore the chances of D+ generating an alert is very high. As I previously stated in other threads. Three years later CIS still sets of an alert for Logitech.exe. Also no where am I bashing any particular product. Take time to read what I write. I said HIPS. Not just Comodo. This is a war room so we are allowed to debate things. Just because CIS did not give you any alerts is irrelevant. KIS slows most computers down and some never notice a difference. Every pc is different and every pc has different programs/software installed. Now if we compare the exact same pc's side by and both have all the same programs thats different. According to Languy99's videos NIS is very poor. According to other videos like MrXidus its awesome. Read post 3 Jack. Thanks.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
thewolfsmith72 said:
Maximus said:

Your forgetting how security works. Your av is the first step in protection. Then everything else comes into play. And unless you have the knowledge and understanding of how to answer the pop up from your HIPS its meaningless. Could I install CIS and use it effectively? Of course. But I refuse to baby sit my security on a daily basis.

People are misinterpreting a HIPS pop up from an actually malware detection. So many people are happy to see a pop up. They think "Wow.......My security is working". But just because you get a pop up doesn't mean a thing unless you click "block". I hate pop ups. I do not feel a security product should nag you. It should just work.

I did not forget, it is why i said, why wait on the Av to let something into the system ;) I just firmly believe that now days, an AV is not enough..

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
If an av is not enough then why do most av's have a 97% detection rate or better? Now if your av only caught about 60% I can justify using a HIPS. If a HIPS was so necessary then every new pc would be shipped with it. The fact remains that DW doesnot support Windows 64 bit so no matter what D+ wins.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
If an av is not enough then why do most av's have a 97% detection rate or better? Now if your av only caught about 60% I can justify using a HIPS. If a HIPS was so necessary then every new pc would be shipped with it. The fact remains that DW doesnot support Windows 64 bit so no matter what D+ wins.

When one calculates the percentage of how many infectious items are now in the wild, as well as known, that 2%-3% looks alot bigger.. ;)

DW not supporting 64 bit, does kinda draw a final conclusion on this thread...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
DW not supporting 64 bit, does kinda draw a final conclusion on this thread...
Well , there are some problems with DefenseWall aswell apart from the 64bit support, I do consider that Comodo Firewall with the auto-sandbox feature,coded color alerts and the white list will generate less alerts that Defensewall..I've tried it a few months ago and I did see some pop-ups that would really jeopardizee the system security ,basically asking me if downloaded apps. were Trusted or Untrusted .. Now that's a decision which could really generate an infection.Would've me sense to treat all new apps as untrusted to me .....
attachment.php

To DefenseWall advantage I would add the fact that it's more easy to use that D+, having Trusted and Untrusted groups and being able to easily move them and clean the sandbox is a major +.

!(Way Off-topic) @Maximum : Look at that, Defensewall also calls them Apps :shy: .... Also you failed to give an apps name....Logitech.exe could very well be malicious.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
They both work really well (at least for me... ) but are quite different. DW has a much more mature sandbox, actually the entire protection is based on limiting the rights of applications that can be threat gates (most malware reaches your computer via a browser, instant messenger etc - these are considered threat gates by DW). HIPS is there just to complement the protection offered by the sandbox and it shouldn't display too many pop-ups. CIS has a full HIPS module, Comodo added the auto-sandbox as a way to lower the number of pop-ups. Comodo also improved the white-list allot, it can't be perfect but the question is "is it comprehensive enough to allow most software applications to run without generating a pop-up?"

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Lol................So I install SetPoint from Logitech 3 years ago on my gaming rig so I can take full advantage of my G-15 keyboard and gaming mouse. Then awhile later I download and install CIS and it sets off an alert for Logitech.exe. Then every version of CIS after that produces the same thing. I then purchase a new laptop after selling my gaming rig and buy Logitech mouse to go with it. I have SetPoint installed for months and I change up my security to CIS again. Now I have the latest and greatest version of CIS and guess what.My logs are filled with Logitech.exe and my mouse functions no longer work. So I give it time thinking and hoping that Comodo will eventually fix the issue.Well I hate to inform you Jack but even the latest version of CIS does the same. So I guess your telling me that CIS knows more then me? So I am infected with malware called "Logitech.exe". Whatever.

People install software and or programs on there pc. I have never seen anyone install an "app" on there pc. Vista and Windows 7 now have stuff like gadgets but no apps.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No CAV never detected anything. I am not alone. You can find the same complaint as mine in the Comodo forums. Some dated this year and others dating previous years. D+ will trigger an alert for logitech.exe. You allow it. Keep in mind that Logitech is listed as a trusted vendor also. Then if you go into your D+ logs you will see an entry for "logitech.exe accessing memory". This log will fill up in an hour if you let it. Now I know howto fix it. Thats easy. But for the average home user no.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
OK, so it was logitech.exe (or setpoint.exe) trying to access cfp.exe in memory and CIS blocks it trying to protect itself. I assume that COMODO considers that Logitech should fix this issue... so it will never go away :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.