Battle DefenseWall HIPS vs. COMODO Defense+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
iPanik said:
Look at the timestamps, the entries for mbam are inconsistent and hours even days apart. If you look at a log for setpoint it shows a new entry every few seconds.

Maybe they were running a scan with MBAM or Avira? There is nothing explaining that. Either way it doesn't matter cause now there is proof that Logitech is not alone. End of story.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The logs are mainly for debugging purposes. If something doesn't work as expected you should check the logs and report the issue to the developers or attempt a fix on your own. The problem is that this issue seems to affect the way the mouse works for some users.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'd choose Comodo Defense+ over DefenseWall HIPS because Defense+ offers Cloud analysis and Cloud Behavior Blocking and it fully supports 64-bit Systems too.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Maximus said:
iPanik said:
Look at the timestamps, the entries for mbam are inconsistent and hours even days apart. If you look at a log for setpoint it shows a new entry every few seconds.

Maybe they were running a scan with MBAM or Avira? There is nothing explaining that. Either way it doesn't matter cause now there is proof that Logitech is not alone. End of story.

MBAM and Avira are scanners and need to access other processes in memory as part of there scans. Set point on the other hand does not.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
The logs are mainly for debugging purposes. If something doesn't work as expected you should check the logs and report the issue to the developers or attempt a fix on your own. The problem is that this issue seems to affect the way the mouse works for some users.

Yes, this is the problem with any software development. It is impossible to account for every hardware configuration or software loadout that a user may have. As such, there are some bugs that can affect a portion of the userbase.

Since I'm sure there are many Logitech users, I'm sure we'd see a lot of issue reports if their mouses weren't working. Memory access log entries are one thing, a non-working mouse is another.

In order for the developers to figure out what might be causing a non-working mouse, they're going to need system specifics.

If your mouse has functioning issues with the default configuration Maximus, you'll want to create a support ticket.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Comodo would be my choice, they're both good but come on, as Maximus has stressed in many posts, "not having 64-bit support is just unforgivable" and should be offered.

Adding to the whole debate with how Comodo Def + handles things like Logitech drivers etc, I also agree the reason why Comodo should block something for poking its nose where it should not be. But can also understand from a end user point of view (someone who does not have a clue, complete novice) this can be kinda confusing. But one look at the forums or Userguide (maybe wrong here, sorry if I am!) should explain to them how to overcome this via trusting it etc...

Everyone has valid points, but I think Comodo is right in their approach, the complete novice user would not (as they'd see it as annoying and wonder why, without an educated viewpoint).

D

Deleted member 178

i agree, CIS is not for complete novices, HIPS are not for complete novices. any user able to use correctly CIS or any other HIPS, may found the solution for this kind of issues in less than 1mn.

NIS, KIS and many others are made for novices, not CIS (even if they actually try). How many times we should repeat this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.