Advice Request Degoo cloud storage

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
Hello, everyone ! I just signed up a Degoo cloud account with 100 GB storage. What do you think about Degoo?

Reactions: woodrowbone

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello, everyone ! I just signed up a Degoo cloud account with 100 GB storage. What do you think about Degoo?
You get 100 GB because you will be allocating space on your hard disk to store other people's backups, just as you will be storing your backups on their hard disk.
If you are okay with that, fine. I don't feel comfortable with it, either way. I don't want other people's illegal content, possibly including criminal content, on my hard disk. And I don't want my stuff on someone else's hard disk either, mainly because it won't be accessible to me if the remote storage disks assigned to me are offline.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I tried it, because I need 500GB and theirs price is $3, but I did not like the yearly payment or something like that, so picked Icedrive instead.

capture_10062019_203920.jpg

You get 100 GB because you will be allocating space on your hard disk to store other people's backups
That is the article from 2014, the first comment from 2016 disregards it as invalid at that time.
Hi,
Founder of Degoo here. Just wanted to give you a quick update. Degoo is no longer using P2P storage. You no longer need to share any hard drive space. It’s 100 GB for free, no catch and no time limit. You can find more details here: Does Degoo use P2P storage?
Kind Regards
Carl Hasselskog
CEO, Degoo
Then again, their TOS still contains it, so which is it then? It does not seem very trustworthy, if they are conflicted about it themselves.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I tried it, because I need 500GB and theirs price is $3, but I did not like the yearly payment or something like that, so picked Icedrive instead.

View attachment 226848

That is the article from 2014, the first comment from 2016 disregards it as invalid at that time.

Then again, their TOS still contains it, so which is it then? It does not seem very trustworthy, if they are conflicted about it themselves.
Thanks for the updated info. I couldn't find the place in the TOS that conflicts with it. I did see something about voluntarily sharing CPU power. According to the outdated source that I cited, you share CPU if you use more than 100 GB.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Im just saying i would not share anything if i dont know them ever wonder what else you share i would rather pay a lot of deals for first
year new users with trustworthy companies out there. got to be careful with magoo i rather use iobit and i cant stand them just my saying
Be Careful

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
According to the outdated source that I cited, you share CPU if you use more than 100 GB.
Yes, sharing CPU power makes sense, it is common, but they should rephrase it then, unless it is on purpose and TOS silently covers their back.
10.1 As part of the Services, a User may choose to share storage computer processing power by using peer-to-peer technology. Such computer processing power shared by the User may be used or licensed by Degoo at its discretion. For that purpose, Users sharing computer processing power are regarded as subcontractors to Degoo (“Subcontractor”). The Subcontractor warrants that these Terms and any applicable guidelines shall apply to its shared computer processing power. The Subcontractor further indemnifies Degoo for any and all damages, losses or inconveniences due to circumstances on the Subcontractor’s part.

Reactions: roger_m and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, sharing CPU power makes sense, it is common, but they should rephrase it then, unless it is on purpose and TOS silently covers their back.
So that must be why you get so much storage for so little money. They found a way to legally use some of your CPU, without you realizing that you agreed to it.

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
Cloud backup providers are always something to stay away from. They're just collecting tons of data to sell which is why they can give such dirt cheap prices. It's simply not possible for them to give such low prices. They couldn't even cover their equipment costs, not to mention staff costs. And even aside from the data-mining aspect, cloud backups are just asking to get hacked and then all your data will get stolen by some cyber-criminal halfway around the world. The best backup is the one you make on a backup drive in your house that never leaves your possession.

Reactions: nastavnikhe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.