Deleting Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi all,
I have received a new laptop.It contains two operating systems(OS)-windows 7 and linux.Total hard disk space is 320 GB.Linux occupies 120 GB.The two OS are present in two different drives.While in windows the Linux drive is not accessible and it does not show in my computer.
Now I want to delete Linux OS without formatting windows 7 and make that 120 GB partition accessible in windows 7.How to do???

gone

Level 1
Jul 10, 2012
You can delete the linux partition using the disk management tool in computer management console.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You need to check the partition to determine the location like Gparted software.

If willing to use a linux which runs for RAM and you can save the snapshot for continously task then try Puppy Linux Distro.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I used this method several times. Good luck! :)
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-linux-boot-loader-from-startup-after-deleting-linux-partition-on-a-dual-boot-system/

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I used this method several times. Good luck! :)
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-linux-boot-loader-from-startup-after-deleting-linux-partition-on-a-dual-boot-system/
I don't have windows 7 cd to do it but my windows 7 is genuine....any other method?

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
gone said:
You can delete the linux partition using the disk management tool in computer management console.

but deleting this partition can make that 120 GB useless .right?

jamescv7 said:
You need to check the partition to determine the location like Gparted software.

If willing to use a linux which runs for RAM and you can save the snapshot for continously task then try Puppy Linux Distro.

can't get you...can explain me further please?

Z

ZeroDay

First you need to restore your windows bootloader. reboot your computer and press f8 select repair your computer, then select repair using advanced tools I think lol then select command prompt, type in the following 2 commands and hit enter after each one.
Bootrec.exe/fixmbr
bootrec.exe/fixboot.
Then restart. Then follow these steps to un partition your hard drive.

Right click on my computer, select manage and then select disk management from the left side, locate the linux partition from the drives shown, right click on it and delete it, then right right click on your windows drive and select expand, then click ok.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
First you need to restore your windows bootloader. reboot your computer and press f8 select repair your computer, then select repair using advanced tools I think

Most probably he wont be able to go to recovery without a CD since deleting the linux partition corrupts the bootloader and the problem is fixed with the help of a bootable CD/USB

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
maaster said:
but deleting this partition can make that 120 GB useless
No, after repairing the bootloader open the disk management tool in Windows and find the space that is unused and create a partition.

gone

Level 1
Jul 10, 2012
maaster said:

yes. you can create new partition since the deleted partition becomes unused space.

as winandlinuxtutorials said if grub is your boot loader just doing a start up repair will fix the loader

Z

ZeroDay

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
ZeroDay said:
First you need to restore your windows bootloader. reboot your computer and press f8 select repair your computer, then select repair using advanced tools I think

Most probably he wont be able to go to recovery without a CD since deleting the linux partition corrupts the bootloader and the problem is fixed with the help of a bootable CD/USB
Of course he can get into recovery without a windows cd/dvd My instructions work I'm not guessing at anything.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A new partition can be created, correctly formatted to NTFS for Windows to use.

gone said:

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
Of course he can get into recovery without a windows cd/dvd My instructions work I'm not guessing at anything.

You made me interested to try it. :D Going to delete my linux partition and see what happens, but that is after I finish studying. :D

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
ZeroDay said:
First you need to restore your windows bootloader. reboot your computer and press f8 select repair your computer, then select repair using advanced tools I think lol then select command prompt, type in the following 2 commands and hit enter after each one.
Bootrec.exe/fixmbr
bootrec.exe/fixboot.
Then restart. Then follow these steps to un partition your hard drive.

Right click on my computer, select manage and then select disk management from the left side, locate the linux partition from the drives shown, right click on it and delete it, then right right click on your windows drive and select expand, then click ok.

How to restore windows bootloader?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:

I don't think so. After you choose Windows 7 from the Linux bootloader, you press F8 to get the Advanced boot options.

maaster said:
How to restore windows bootloader?

I hope you didn't delete the Linux partitions, did you?

If you did, you need another Windows 7 PC to make a recovery disc, as you said you don't have a Windows 7 Disc. And of course you need an empty CD/DVD. :D

1: Create a system repair disc:

This disc has the ability to do the repair operations that can be done by the Full Windows 7 CD but, of course you can't use it to reinstall Windows.

To create a recovery disk, Open the Start Menu and type create system repair disc, and open the result that appears.

NmbkoGh.png

After that you have to choose the drive that has the CD/DVD that you want to burn the repair disc to and click on Create Disc

Dzpb0yx.png

You will need this disc to repair the bootloader after the deletion of the Linux partitions. You may also want to see if the disc boots before we proceed to the next step.

2. Delete the Linux partition(s) (skip this step if you did it):

Open the start menu and type create and format hard disk partitions in the search box and open the result that appears.

styl8CW.png

The disk management will open. You will most probably find a partition or more with no label (They have no name next to their icon) as they are unrecognized by Windows, because of the different file systems. Most probably there will be 2 partitions without label, but there may be more or it may be one. Right click on the partitions and click on Delete volume.

Fed588j.png

You have now deleted the partitions, the bootloader is now corrupted. We will repair it in step 3.

3: Repairing the bootloader:
Now insert the CD that we created and restart the computer. Now when you find a screen similar to the one below saying Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, so do what it says. :D
dp0k8Qi.png

Wait until the files are loaded and you will have to select the language and click Next, You will then be asked to select the option of System recovery that you want. Select the first one and then the installation that you want to repair.

CTaQQdL.png

You will then be asked to choose the recovery option that you want, choose Command Prompt.

Then type these two commands:

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot

Now your PC should boot normally again after the restart. Be sure not to boot from CD/DVD.

4: Making use of the unallocated space:
Now after deleting the Linux partitions, they become unused and you will not be able to see them in my Computer. Now you should open the Disk management again.

In the lower part of the window of Disk management, you will find a part of the disk which is unallocated similar to the picture below. Right click on it and click on New Simple Volume. Complete the wizard and you are done! :)

jDZRpgT.png

Hope this helps :)

Z

ZeroDay

I never told the user to delete the linux partition first, I gave the exact 2 commands you gave for repairing the windows bootloader and only then told the user to delete the linux partition.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZeroDay said:
I never told the user to delete the linux partition first, I gave the exact 2 commands you gave for repairing the windows bootloader and only then told the user to delete the linux partition.

I am sorry about that. :) I understood it that you are saying to delete the partition and then we can boot from safe mode.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
maaster said:
can't get you...can explain me further please?

What I mean is to have an elaborated partition exact location then use some software like gparted.

WALT gave you the right recommendation there, also if your laptop is an OEM manufactured then you can boot the recovery partition which straight ahead for the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.