Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
same
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
took out battery
reset ram
Then replaced ram with ran I know works...did not fix it
I have a dell win 7 laptop that just beeps and will not turn on. I tried replacing the ram with good ram that did not work.
The beeping does not have a pattern it just keeps beeping if it is turned on. No bios screen comes up.

I am not sure what else to check for ..or if there is a way to fix this

thanks for any help

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Again the problem is the computer just beeps forever...if I turn it on.....the beeps do not fit any of the
error code beeps

So the fix for this computer ...will probably be to replace it ...

Just to recap what i did try.
1. replace AC adapter with a good one.
2. replace ram with known good ram.
3. removed the battery and then put back in.
4. removed the battery and AC adapter. and held the power button down for 20 secs.
put everything back together and tried to start up. ( it did start once). now back to how it was
5. removed battery and AC adapter...and took out the ram ...to check for static. I rubbed the ram
stick pins with an eraser. Then put everything back together and tried to start it . ( no luck)
6. tried to run the diagnostics with holding the power button +FN but it doesnt work

Everyone was a big help.. at least I did everything I could :)

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Donetao....I cannot get it to boot up far enough to use a live cd...and I have checked the beep codes none seem to pertain to this issue...do probably it is the motherboard :(
Hi @Rozesky2 If you can't boot from a live CD, then there is big trouble.
Shot in the dark. Sense you replaced RAM with known good RAM, that should rule out the RAM. You might try removing the HD and try to boot.
There's a chance that the HD is bad. It would be worth the effort to try another HD. These are my thoughts at this moment!!
Post back if you find a solution!!;)
To this day, if no hard drives are connected and nothing like a USB drive is connected, and there isn't a bootable CD in the CD drive, you'll see the typical manufacturer logo, and then a "Missing Operating System" or "No Bootable Device Found.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

illumination ....great suggestion ...so I tried it ...but unfortunately it did not work... I cannot run the diagnostics because it just will not get that far in the boot process...So I am down to thinking it is the motherboard or the power plug went bad, even though the computer is almost never moved around.
More then likely the motherboard.. DRAM refresh failure is what the single beep is telling you, this is caused by the system having a problem accessing system memory to refresh it. The code itself means either the problem is with the system memory or the motherboard. You have ruled out the system memory, so there is only one other thing it can be..

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
More then likely the motherboard.. DRAM refresh failure is what the single beep is telling you, this is caused by the system having a problem accessing system memory to refresh it. The code itself means either the problem is with the system memory or the motherboard. You have ruled out the system memory, so there is only one other thing it can be..
HI I agree with @illumination, but it wouldn't hurt to try a different HD or try to boot with it removed??
Computers are weird animals and we are never quite sure how they react and try to bite us on the hand!!;):(

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Purshupro ...this continuous beep never stop ..I have counted up to 18 before I just turned the computer off.... so I think maybe some motherboard issue :)
Yes i get it, there will be a rapid fast continuous beep and a very small break between the next set of beep, after its completed it would turn off itself or even may continue depending on the board stability. Just take it to a hardware technician so that he will repair it for u. Dont make any further more experiments with ur PC !

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! As @Paul replied. It could be a bad fan or a stuck key on your key board. Is your fan spinning? I guess it could be the bois battery?? Never seen that before!!
Did you get it fixed??
You could try to clean your Key board or disconnect and see if Windows will boot!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.