Deseat.me - Has anyone tried this website?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the website www.deseat.me ?

It claims to find out which websites you have previously subscribed to and automatically send requests to have your information deleted. However, it needs access to your Gmail account to do this and you have to provide your email password !!

Its sounds very suspicious but the site has been recommended by some fairly trustworthy sources such as this UK website (part of the Daily Mail)..

I was wondering about changing my gmail password before using the site, then try the deseat.me service, and once this is finished change my gmail password once more. That way it doesn't ever know my real password.

HOWEVER IS THIS SAFE OR EVEN ADVISABLE ??

Comments appreciated.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Why would they need the password. Are they going find out which websites are sending you emails , so that they can unsubscribe you from them. If its like that then you can yourself do that.
Also, changing the password won't solve all the problem. They will be able to see all your emails and instead of removing your info from other site they themselves could collect a lot of info about you.
More over they can send emails from your email address which can also be a problem.
I wont be using this kind of service even if its recommended by dailymail or some thing like that. Its really difficult to trust a media house now a days.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Cant see point there, most of legit sites you have subscribed to will not go into your junk folder....so you can trustfully unsub them.

But if you manually go to junk folder and unsubscribe the fake ones, you may get into bigger trouble

Never share your password to 3rd parties

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I woudn't trust any service which needs my login and password. For me it's like giving a stranger my creditcard and pin and ask him to get me 100 Euro from my account in cash. If it would be family its different, but a stranger?
And how would they want to do it? I subbed to x.y, deleted the confirmation email from my mailbox and trash after remembering the password. How do they want to know im on x.y?

Reactions: Weebarra

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
there is no way to remove digital footprint., i believe nowdays even if you unsub unused facebook, slack or everything else that you don't use anymore, i doubt the company will truly remove your account permanently, they might just keep some information just for advertising or analytics purpose.

email is like your fingerprint, you not suppose to give or lend permission to anyone no exception. Never grant any app to look into your email. If you looking for good one, try protonmail, they have encryption and you can get ton aliases eg, main : someone@protonmail.com aliases: someone+there@protonmail.com, someone+crazy@protonmail.com, etc :)

Anyway you can check this site Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach to Check if you have an email account that has been compromised in a data breach.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Used the service recently as I was ditching Gmail and Outlook entirely to switch to Tutanota. You login to your Gmail/Outlook account and it has permission to read and send emails, it grabs a list of accounts and you can one click GDPR deletion requests. Unfortunately it doesn't work for every site, it left a handful out of a few hundred for me but the list it left meant I could clear up the rest in a few minutes (y)

Once you're done, you press the delete button at the bottom and everything (should) be wiped and of course you can remove the apps access through Gmail or Outlook. The site itself does not see your password, it is an app.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
However, it needs access to your Gmail account to do this and you have to provide your email password !!
No you don't. Please stop providing misinformation.

You are redirected to Sign in with Google
https://accounts.google.com/signin/oauth/identifier?client_id=XXXXXXXXXXXX

You are asked about permissions requested by deseat.me:
  • View your email messages
  • Search your email messages
  • View your settings (e.g., filters and labels)
  • Send email that appears to have been sent by you (i.e., from your email address)
Learn about the risks at Third-party sites & apps with access to your account - Google Account Help

You can review all Apps and Services with access to your account at https://myaccount.google.com/permissions.

Alternatively if you choose Outlook, you are redirected to Sign in with Microsoft
https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/v2.0/authorize?client_id=XXXXXXXX

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
No you don't. Please stop providing misinformation.

You are redirected to Sign in with Google
Thanks for pointing this out. When I read the OP stating login/pwd was required I wondered ... "why not OAuth?" ... Only a scammer would ask for the account password. Still, I'd be crazy to even consider this. O wait...

Reactions: Weebarra

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
No you don't. Please stop providing misinformation

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the site is probably ok to use ? (Subject to the risks outlined by google)

As for the misinformation, not a deliberate attempt to deceive I promise. I’m not a tech expert and at face value, it looked to me as if the site wanted your password. Sorry about that.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Hit or miss from my experience. In the end I still had to manually unsubscribe the most annoying emails. I immediately unlinked after I was done. The service appears to be safe.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
As for the misinformation, not a deliberate attempt to deceive I promise. I’m not a tech expert and at face value, it looked to me as if the site wanted your password. Sorry about that.
You are partially right though. Many webpages are known to steal information like that. Steam accounts for example:

Just last month there was one example posted on MT actually:

Always check the certificate in detail, when in doubt, though it is not 100% guarantee either.
Password managers also help, since they display login only when on a legitimate page.

Attachments

• capture_03022019_204116.jpg
    capture_03022019_204116.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,015
Reactions: roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

there is no way to remove digital footprint.

I have no digital footprint. Zero search results on any search engine. No known photo of me exists online. No account that can be directly tied to me. My real name has only been used 4-6 times online and that was a requirement of specific financial accounts and those were non-public accounts.

It's much easier to maintain control if you do it early on and are consistent with it. It is much harder to remove your stuff later. These days keeping your stuff off isn't that difficult because to reduce workload and reduce privacy violations most sites keep a database of people that have requested data removal and automatically keep it removed.

Other sites, you can force your information to be removed by citing things, in some cases that may not be accurate but will prompt removal. For example if you claim you are a child, sites will often immediately remote data. If you get a letter from an attorney or law enforcement agent and submit the request with that it will often prompt immediate removal. If you have any law enforcement, intelligence, counter intelligence or sensitive work involvement then removing it is even easier still and so is removing your family members.

It's almost zero effort now to keep my digital footprint net-zero. Sure, a few sleuths may track me down on one other forum from my posts several years ago, but those accounts contain no specific or relevant personal information and no-longer-valid geographical location data from IP addresses.

It's great being a ghost, and feels liberating in an age when most people have absolutely no privacy/anonymity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.