Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
High temperature
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I reapplied the thermal paste (Arctic MX-4) several times but the temperature did not change by more than 1 degree.
Hello, I know what I'm going to ask is maybe a question I can find on Google but I think I'm better asking here because there are certainly people with a lot of experience in such things.

I have the following configuration: Cryogent system (small uATX case) and I'm not sure the processor temperatures are the right ones.
At an ambient temperature of 26C after a 15-minute stress session with AIDA64, the total CPU temperature is 48C (67/67/67/61 per core).
The thermal paste I used is the Arctic MX-4 but it has a strange, very fluid consistency as a honey of poor quality.
I reapplied the thermal paste several times but the temperature did not change by more than 1 degree.

Attachments

• Temp 1.jpg
    Temp 1.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Temp 2.jpg
    Temp 2.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Your temperature is fine. I don't see nothing wrong with it. What application did you use to apply the thermal compound? Did you clean the previous thermal compound with 71%-100% isopropyl alcohol and clean it with a microfiber cloth or a coffee filter? What is your case airflow setup?
You should be worry if your CPU temp is getting 85C+. Aida64 and other CPU stress test software put unrealistic load onto your CPU that you are not going to see that on any application today.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
after a 15-minute stress session with AIDA64, the total CPU temperature is 48C (67/67/67/61 per core).
I see nothing wrong with that. Even your temps in the 60s are not bad.

Very fluid consistency does not suggest poor quality in any way. MX-4 is good stuff. TIM (thermal interface materials) need to be applied as thin as possible. Any excess is just in the way of the most efficient transfer of heat.

IMO, you could look at adding new case fan, or replacing current fans with fans that move more air. Otherwise, leave it alone. You actually risk destroying your CPU due to ESD or other mishandling if you keep messing with it.

Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
IMO, you could look at adding new case fan, or replacing current fans with fans that move more air. Otherwise, leave it alone. You actually risk destroying your CPU due to ESD or other mishandling if you keep messing with it.

I allready have one 120 mm intake and 90 mm on exhaust ( limited by case only 90 mm) and the case is old design with psu fan positionated inside, and the space between psu/gpu is les than 3 fingers.

Reactions: Cast and Weebarra
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I allready have one 120 mm intake and 90 mm on exhaust
It is not just about the size of the fan that matters. It is also about CFM - cubic feet per minute - the amount of air the fan can move. And that is not just a factor of the blade size, but blade shape and fan rotation speed (RPMs) too.

If you case does not support additional fan, or larger fans, then, if still worried, you can look into replacing your current fans with fans that move more air. That said, unless your ambient (room) temperatures are expected to rise significantly in the future, I would not worry about.

Also, stress tests are artificial. They are designed to push your hardware to their limits. You need to be worried about your temps when you are performing your regular tasks with your computer - not what happens in artificial scenarios.

Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Ok, thank you all for answers, now i have to wait to see in the future when the ambient temp got higher ( is not really hot this days on my location) and i thinking to buy a middle case with better airflow.

digerati - i know at fans case the CFM matters most than RPM. Intake is Noctua fan with 55 CFM and exhaust has at least the same CFM because is an industrial not regular fan....and the noise of them at high speed is like i have an combat jet in my case....:eek:

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Ok, thank you all for answers, now i have to wait to see in the future when the ambient temp got higher ( is not really hot this days on my location) and i thinking to buy a middle case with better airflow.

digerati - i know at fans case the CFM matters most than RPM. Intake is Noctua fan with 55 CFM and exhaust has at least the same CFM because is an industrial not regular fan....and the noise of them at high speed is like i have an combat jet in my case....:eek:

You might want to invest some mid tower case or full tower case for your high end hardware.
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CARB...8&qid=1530307580&sr=1-5&keywords=corsair+case

Reactions: Cast
Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Cryogent- Considering your name I can understand why you would be concerned with high temps!

The one thing that has been missing in this thread is the most important- what CPU heatsink do you use? If you use the stock CPU heatsink it won't matter what paste or how many case fans you have. Get something on the order of Scythe Kotetsu; you can also ditch the stock fan that is included and replace it with a Nexus or a Noctua (I love Quiet as much as Cool).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I use stock HSF's. But then my computers are in a finished basement 10 feet underground, behind 12 inch concrete coated with HSF54, ferrite channeled ingress of all connections, KVAR 2400 reactive power filtration/mitigation, EMF/Ultrasonic jammers, pink noise suppression units. Oh nevermind.. Get a better HSF like Cruel says. :p

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Cryogent- Considering your name I can understand why you would be concerned with high temps!

The one thing that has been missing in this thread is the most important- what CPU heatsink do you use? If you use the stock CPU heatsink it won't matter what paste or how many case fans you have. Get something on the order of Scythe Kotetsu; you can also ditch the stock fan that is included and replace it with a Nexus or a Noctua (I love Quiet as much as Cool).

He does list what cpu cooler he used on the CPU. System Showcase - Cryogent PC

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 cpu cooler

Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Cruelsister - funny thing u say :ROFLMAO:, I didn't think about that.
Like SumTingWong wrote i have a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 cpu cooler and thats why i was a little bit concerned about high cores temp.
lowdetection - i will make same test today an post the result later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
And like i said earlier i attacched requested ss for OpenHardware.
Anyway seems that OpenHardwareMonitor suffers from bad reading of some sensors (99°C cores temp in idl, 100% of ghost fans... )

Attachments

• SS1.jpg
    SS1.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 278
  • SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 278
Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hello, I know what I'm going to ask is maybe a question I can find on Google but I think I'm better asking here because there are certainly people with a lot of experience in such things.

I have the following configuration: Cryogent system (small uATX case) and I'm not sure the processor temperatures are the right ones.
At an ambient temperature of 26C after a 15-minute stress session with AIDA64, the total CPU temperature is 48C (67/67/67/61 per core).
The thermal paste I used is the Arctic MX-4 but it has a strange, very fluid consistency as a honey of poor quality.
I reapplied the thermal paste several times but the temperature did not change by more than 1 degree.
The temps are good nonetheless you can try different thermal pastes like TG Kryonaut,Cooler Master maker Gel, Gelid extreme on IHS to reduce that temps to 55C if you really want a cooler cpu.
These pastes must be spread evenly with a spatula (provided with the paste). Big pea in the middle and spread it one direction to get even finish like Diggerati said.
If you don't want to spread IC Diamond is a good alternative. You put a pea size and screw the heatsink and it works. It'll be 3C higher than evenly spread paste but it works.

I prefer HWMonitor64 which is more USEFULL than OpenHardware and CPUID HWMonitor.
You mean HWINFO64. HWINFO is dead accurate than HWMON. HWMON is a hit or miss.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.