Did comodo increase their Detection rates ?

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Most YouTuber's are using Virussign to get their samples from, these are not fresh , vetted samples, and can make any product look good.

I tested CCAV a couple nights ago with 12 fresh samples, CCAV only detected 1of them, although the auto-sandbox kicked in and scooped up the rest as normal.

Can you share a link to your testing YouTube Channel? Thanks.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Can you share a link to your testing YouTube Channel? Thanks.
While I appreciate your interest, I'm not a Youtuber, although I have in the past uploaded videos there for posting in forums, though those have since been pulled down and I no longer maintain a YouTube account. I test independently, reporting issues directly to vendors.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Have a look at this playlist guys File Detection Test - Mai / Juni 2017 - YouTube

A German youtuber tested 25 security products against a folder of 55 samples collected from Malwr and DasMalwerk, a test in which Comodo managed to come out on top detecting the most on the list. With a detection rate of 53/55 in this small test edging out Eset, Gdata and K7 who all managed 52. The test starts in chronological order with Eset and ends with Vipre from June 10th to June 15th.

TqxAKBw.png

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Have a look at this playlist guys File Detection Test - Mai / Juni 2017 - YouTube

A German youtuber tested 25 security products against a folder of 55 samples collected from Malwr and DasMalwerk, a test in which COMODO managed to come out on top detecting the most on the list. With a detection rate of 53/55 in this small test edging out ESET, Gdata and K7 who all managed 52. The test starts in chronological order with ESET and ends with Vipre from June 10th to June 15th.

TqxAKBw.png
That test smells like a lot of bull... .
ESET,GData,K7 Internet Security(?) above KIS, Bitdefender,Emsisoft,Norton,FSecure, Vipre

Comodo above everyone????
come on..

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
That test smells like a lot of bull... .
GData above Emsisoft,FSecure, Vipre, Bitdefender, KIS.
K7 Internet Security, never heard about it.
ESET above KIS, Norton, BD, Emsisoft

COMODO above everyone????

come on..
you haven't even watched the test yet.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017

A German youtuber tested 25 security products against a folder of 55 samples collected from Malwr and DasMalwerk, a test in which COMODO managed to come out on top detecting the most on the list. With a detection rate of 53/55 in this small test edging out ESET, Gdata and K7 who all managed 52. The test starts in chronological order with ESET and ends with Vipre from June 10th to June 15th.

TqxAKBw.png
I can tell you right now, that test is skewed. Those samples are not from Malwr, as he renamed all of them, and that is not necessary with samples from Malwr. That is something one would have to do with samples from sites like Virussign, and those are not fresh samples. Maybe you should learn what you are looking at before you start hammering others.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

TqxAKBw.png
Disclosures & simple points in the article @Nightwalker shared regarding the practices taken up in the AV world and some specifics shared there were interesting.
Did you mind reading it?
And such tests with even 1000 samples comparing multiple AVs shows nothing more than contextual performance and their contemporary signature strength. You can not infer their detection strengths like that.
Malwarebytes detecting 46 samples out of 55. Guess the kind of samples here.

@mekelek I've seen K7 being used at places and I didn't have much idea about it. I used to see it make good detections on VT earlier, don't know more about it. It's Indian btw.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I can tell you right now, that test is skewed. Those samples are not from Malwr, as he renamed all of them, and that is not necessary with samples from Malwr. That is something one would have to do with samples from sites like Virussign, and those are not fresh samples. Maybe you should learn what you are looking at before you start hammering others.
I guess any test which Comodo has some success in, it is automatically skewed according to your opinion. And when did I start "hammering others?" I posted a test from youtube so everyone can see it and decide for themselves. You and @mekelek immediately started attacking it without watching the video. That tells me you have some sort of agenda on these forums trying to discredit what I post. I try to keep my posts factual and not opinionated, you both should do the same.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
I guess any test which COMODO has some success in, it is automatically skewed according to your opinion. And when did I start "hammering others?" I posted a test from youtube so everyone can see it and decide for themselves. You and @mekelek immediately started attacking it without watching the video. That tells me you have some sort of agenda on these forums trying to discredit what I post. I try to keep my posts factual and not opinionated, you both should do the same.
I was able to tell you about the samples because I did watch them. The fact that on a daily basis I test products myself, and pull samples from many places allows me to present facts, not assumptions as you have been doing.

In the interest of facts, if you need proof, fire up a VM, place CCAV in it, so as to not have to disable any settings in CIS "making this simple for you", wait until the next pack is dropped in the hub, drop it in the guest machine, extract it, then right click and scan it with Comodo AV, then screenshot it and place it here with your 100% detection's. ;)

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I was able to tell you about the samples because I did watch them. The fact that on a daily basis I test products myself, and pull samples from many places allows me to present facts, not assumptions as you have been doing.
For someone who tests products on a daily basis I have not seen a single test come from you.
I tested CCAV a couple nights ago with 12 fresh samples, CCAV only detected 1of them, although the auto-sandbox kicked in and scooped up the rest as normal.
This is all I have seen from you. I can think of at least 30 products who have missed 11 samples before. You're counting specks of dust here in contrast to how much malware is actually out there. If we all listened to you, comodo would have only a 0.08% detection rate but we all know that isn't true. And I never once mentioned comodo having a detection rate of 100%, you're just putting words in my mouth now. I've used a VM before so you can save your explanation for someone who doesn't know better. It's amusing to me you probably think i'm some noob who takes lab results for face value but in reality, if that were the case I would be using Avira or something else. Just to make it 100% clear for you ;) I'm very aware of the malware hub results. This thread isn't about comodo having "100% detection rate" its about whether or not the DETECTION has IMPROVED. That's all i'm going to say, have a nice day.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I guess any test which COMODO has some success in, it is automatically skewed according to your opinion. And when did I start "hammering others?" I posted a test from youtube so everyone can see it and decide for themselves. You and @mekelek immediately started attacking it without watching the video. That tells me you have some sort of agenda on these forums trying to discredit what I post. I try to keep my posts factual and not opinionated, you both should do the same.
I was attacking the whole test, had nothing to do with Comodo. We're telling you to not believe blindly in these tests, cause the actual tests we do says the exact opposite.
Comodo is an effective tool if configured right, but to claim it's the best AV on the market without the advanced configuration is just a pure lie.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I was attacking the whole test, had nothing to do with COMODO. We're telling you to not believe blindly in these tests, cause the actual tests we do says the exact opposite.
COMODO is an effective tool if configured right, but to claim it's the best AV on the market without the advanced configuration is just a pure lie.
It did the best in this "small" test of 55 samples which I mentioned. I never claimed it to be the best. Re-read my posts.

Reactions: Parsh

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
You're surely not comparing COMODO AV's detection rate to Kaspersky's AV are you??
Nope I am not. I felt that @mekelek was not interested in what this thread had to say about Comodo and saw that he was using Kaspersky under his avatar. No one is forcing anyone to use Comodo if they don't like it.

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Nope I am not. I felt that @mekelek was not interested in what this thread had to say about COMODO and saw that he was using Kaspersky under his avatar. No one is forcing anyone to use COMODO if they don't like it.
Ok, my mistake. There's no doubt Comodo FW and CIS configured correctly is extremely good protection, but as things stand it's AV is extremely weak.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.