Security News Difference in Banks' online security systems, Report by Which?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Major banks have big differences in the safeguards used for their online banking systems, research from a consumer group suggests.

"Which? found several big providers do not use "two factor" security steps when customers log in, which could help protect them falling victim to scams.

Which? said just five out of the 11 providers it tested offered a two factor authentication at login - Barclays, First Direct, HSBC, Nationwide and M&S Bank.

It said Lloyds Banking Group, which includes Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland, was among those not using two factor security steps at login.

But banks said the research did not paint a true picture of their security controls."​

Continue... Which? discovers wide differences in banks' online security systems - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I bank with HSBC, but will no longer use online banking, no matter what two factor authentication they have in place - customer service guy didn't like being told that, plus tried to convince me bank accounts do not get hacked!

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I bank with HSBC, but will no longer use online banking, no matter what two factor authentication they have in place - customer service guy didn't like being told that, plus tried to convince me bank accounts do not get hacked!

Unfortunately there are few, very few people that have contact with customer that know about security....many times the answer when confrobted with security concerns is not to worry and to use an AV..:(
Unfortunately I had the same experience.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
By default, 2FA for online transaction is disabled for trans <Rs. 20k. I enabled it(2FA) for every transaction just to be safe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.