DinoSport : Config, New Computer

DinoSport

Thread author
Verified
Jun 8, 2013
I think I just cleaned a redirect virus & adware mess (thanks to kuttus). Now I need to protect my computer. I don't want to reload McAfee--it's as annoying as any malware. I'll appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Any reason to having Java installed? Also Windows Defender is enough, but do you also have UAC on High?

DinoSport

Thread author
Verified
Jun 8, 2013
WalterWolf said:
This windows was preinstalled on PC ?

Yes, the computer is still 'mostly' the way I bought it...except I deleted McAfee and now have a lot more anti-malware programs on it. I was infected with a conduit.com redirect virus. It seems cleared-up now.

Thanks for your reply!

DinoSport

Thread author
Verified
Jun 8, 2013
McLovin said:
Any reason to having Java installed? Also Windows Defender is enough, but do you also have UAC on High?

No good reason, I'm sure; I'll happily uninstall Java. I'm not sure about UAC...I'll check...

I appreciate your help - thanks.

RockCityBoy9

Verified
Dec 28, 2012
Remove Adobe Acrobat XI Pro There Are Other Alternative Free PDF That Are Not Memory Hog Like Foxit Reader Or Sumatra PDF And Also Install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Its Free For Security Suite You Can Get The Avast Free & Emisosft Online Armor Free. Don't Use IE10 Get Firefox Or Google Chrome Or Even Opera Next.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you explain why not to use IE10? And Adobe Acrobat Pro?

If you do decide to use Firefox or Chrome, natively Chrome has a built-in PDF viewer (and Flash Player) and Firefox has PDF.js addon (check Addon store). Alternatively Windows 8 comes with it's own PDF Viewer, called Reader (check Windows Store or All Apps (Win+Q)).

Remember that Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is still BETA software, so recommending this software can make their PC unstable or unusable. Also note that IE10 may not function with the current Beta, due to a bug.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.