Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
windows defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
malwarebites free/adwarecleaner ( already on my devices) . If they did not solve , I would go with rogue killer , junk removal tool , tdsskiller , Avira rescue ,emisoft emergency kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
both chrome and ff. ublock origin , bitdefender trafficlights, virustotal.
strongly sandboxed ( SBIE)
Maintenance tools
wise registry cleaner

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
i think you should add a section for anti exploit: i use emet 5.5(it takes care of java)

enabled anti-adware in defender.

other simple things (that also this forum suggested me, and i am grateful):disable autorun;don't use adobe reader;standard account; gmail(never saw spam in my inbox);prevent flash to download something on my pc;disable automatic reboot; 2 external hd and some clouds to store data; privacy settings: prevent every app to deliberately access cam and microphone;and probably something else i don't remember.oh pin code.
and still looking for improvements,without installing anything else from third party.
download only from trusted website.
trying to not let the malware/ransomware come in,instead of destroy it.

on other PCs with previous Windows i use norton anyway

EDIT: Now all my devices have w10

Now my desktop has SD

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thank you , but defender or w10 offer real time protection (ok not the best av for sure)
it is impossible to consider any AV solution or IS solution as the best.
Tests on several independent companies means nothing when it can hardly be compared to real world.

WD is good and a lot of improvement has been made, albeit not much difference between w8.1 and w10, but only now people start to realize the existence of WD in w10, in other words.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Yes just wanted to state that defender on w10 or 8 is not the same of defender on w7. :)
But I know you perfectly knew that , i simply didn't highlighted that I use it on w10

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
An efficient, simple, light setup, and you can put Emet under real-time malware protection. I have MBAE, ZAL, WinPatrol and Norton ConnectSafe all there in my config.

Regarding on demand scanners, in my opinion new kid on the block Zemana Anti-Malware Free is the best. Superior detection and way quicker than Malwarebytes. I'm sure you'll like it. I use the portable version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.