Advice Request Disable HTML 5 video pre load(Also Q&A)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
How to disable HTML5 videos loading automatically on websites without breaking it? Is there even a way for now? On both Chrome and Firefox browsers. And by it I mean disable loading the videos all together not just the disabling of auto play. Video loading automatically is one of the most annoying "feature" for me.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Unfortunately, it does not always work, maybe 80-90% of the time. I like flash anyway, smaller performance impact and it can be easily blocked, thus I also use Flash® Player for YouTube™ since half of the videos on webpages are youtube videos, it makes it easier to block replaced HTML5 videos.
The HLML 5 hype has been disappointing when it comes to performance. And the inability to disable auto play natively, even the addon doesn't work all the time like you said. No way to disable html 5 auto load altogether without breaking the video player.Only advantage is security I guess.

Reactions: frogboy

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Only advantage is security I guess.
HTML5 is pushed by Google, Facebook and etc, because it can not be blocked, thus videos and ADs are unavoidable. Security, well that is like saying that linux is more secure than Windows, it is, because linux runs on 1% of computers, but once HTML5 will become more spread, it will change. The security reason is only PR, like with powershell over CMD, the more and more malware use it each year. Even if you have an unpatched flash, you are protected by a simple flashblock, but with HTML5, you have to hold your fingers and hope, that your security setup will take care of any vulnerabilities.

HTML 5 Has Vulnerabilities Too – Defence Intelligence Blog

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
HTML5 is pushed by Google, Facebook and etc, because it can not be blocked, thus videos and ADs are unavoidable. Security, well that is like saying that linux is more secure than Windows, it is, because linux runs on 1% of computers, but once HTML5 will become more spread, it will change. The security reason is only PR, like with powershell over CMD, the more and more malware use it each year. Even if you have an unpatched flash, you are protected by a simple flashblock, but with HTML5, you have to hold your fingers and hope, that your security setup will take care of any vulnerabilities.

HTML 5 Has Vulnerabilities Too – Defence Intelligence Blog

Thanks for the video. Yes, it is indeed overrated and overhyped.
If they make easier to block html 5 contents automatically loading, then I'll prefer it over flash completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.