Disabling or removing web storage/DOM storage--how likely it will cause problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm reading that web storage/DOM storage is a lot like cookies, but consumes much more space.

Extensions such as Click&Clean and Better Privacy can be used to clear web storage/DOM storage.

The three major browser families' members can be configured to disable web storage/DOM storage.

Does web storage/DOM storage have any truly serious security ramifications?

When I interact with LastPass Support, they always say be sure I'm not disabling cookies, and I know disabling cookies can mess with log-ins.

So, is there a downside to removing or disabling web storage/DOM storage, and if so how much?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Nobody has anything to share on disabling or removing web storage/DOM storage?

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
conceptualclarity...If I understand correctly, DOM storage is storage of settings over the internet. If that is what it means, it is in wide use, but the cost is access to your PC. I use Google Chrome, and I allow Google to restore browser sessions and other settings if I must reinstall or if Chrome crashes. I think it's just up to you whether you feel confident that the person holding the information is trustworthy.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yup. I would also like to know if disabling them would have any serious security ramifications?

In addition, I would also like to know what would happen if I disable the followings as well

a) DOM performance
b) DOM resource timing
c) DOM user timing
d) memory cache
e) disk cache
f) link prefetching
g) DNS prefectching

Anyone can help? Thanks

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
i think this comes down to trial and error.
Just disable DOM and see if any undesirable effects occur.

I use pale moon browser and the pale moon commander extension does have controls over DOM storage etc but of course the same can be achieved in about:config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.