Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I just happen to be looking in my settings for Firefox and I just found this:

1526779032052.png

I had no idea what it is so I looked it up and found this: Disconnect

Firefox addon: Disconnect – Add-ons for Firefox

Have anyone tried this out before and if so, do you think it any good?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I tried the Disconnect for Chrome.

I ended up abandoning it as it broke too many web pages.

Great concept, but the application didn't work that well for me.

Disconnect and Privacy Badger sounded so good reading about them... but for both... too much trouble. But that was a year ago, they have been updated, things change.

Went back to UBlock Origin, Norton Safe Web.... and recently dumped the seeming do-nothing Bitdefender Traffic Light and added WDBP and Malwarebytes Browser Extension Beta -- which is very good.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Everyone should use the basic tracking protection in Firefox.

I use it, privacy possum and Ublock for ads. I have to disable privacy possum for some websites, but I still have the Firefox tracking protection turned on.
If you have uBlock with the necessary filters there's no need to enable Tracking Protection in FF

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Disconnect's tracker blocking is generally considered worse than the competition from EasyPrivacy and Ghostery.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I've another big mystery of tmpaddon (2817 KB) file and other tmp-ian.xpi, tmp-mjp.xpi ... .xpi from Local Settings/Temp finds in CCleaner...
GIF89 xmp Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop CS6 xpacket mysterious inscriptions in Notepad...for now...

But dslreports.com found another culprit: Everyday Widevine and OpenH264 create a tmpaddon file. - Mozilla Software | DSLReports Forums

So in Firefox (and other FF based browsers) Addons/Plugins I've OpenH264 Video Codec on "Always Activate" - then click "Never Activate", it's disabled from now, that's all. My problem is gone forever, I hope...
This plugin is "automatically installed by Mozilla to comply with the WebRTC specification and to enable WebRTC calls..." (so it's for WebRTC I've disabled with "Disable WebRTC" add-on).

Thank you!

EDIT:
My hope was vain: I still get my problem, seen in CCleaner. I don't have any other plugins. Why then?...

Last edited:

Pirate_fin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 16, 2018
There was a review of Disconnect on Firefox extensions page and it said that it's mining.

So can someone with skills to check if it's really mining, because then i'm going to uninstall it.

This is what the review said:
Disconnect SPY EXTENSION. Developer periodic mining in iframe(not detect standart methods).
PROCESS overload 15-20%! at your own risk

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
There was a review of Disconnect on Firefox extensions page and it said that it's mining.

So can someone with skills to check if it's really mining, because then i'm going to uninstall it.

This is what the review said:
Where the full review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.