Disguised Advertisements

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Disguised Advertisements topic here ..

disGUIsed Advertisements on StopMalvertising.com: http://stopmalvertising.com/security/disguised-advertisements.html

QUOTE:
'Many websites dedicated to software downloads often have misleading advertising banners placed in strategic spots. The visitor is presented with large and shiny buttons stating "Download Now" or "Start Download" which are actually part of an advertising banner for another product.
The real download link is usually hidden between those disGUIsed download buttons. Many people will assume that they have to click one of those banners to start their download.

A part from downloading the wrong program, from a security point of view, the visitor might be confronted with a program containing adware, spyware or malware by clicking on one of these misleading download buttons.'

- Thank you Kimberly!;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
During the times I didn't use adblocker its likely from Uniblue does displaying an ads with steps 1-2-3 to download the product everywhere in a website.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Didn't see any ads in long time due to Adblocker but I do remember the rogue 'Download' buttons, very deceiving and BIG . I for one try to stay away from sites who are using this type of ads....

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
I for one try to stay away from sites who are using this type of ads....

I do the same. I can only hope that by denying them users, they'll change their shady tactics.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Beware of torrent sites, many of them have ads "Download Torrent" which actually download malware.
Some of them get right through Adblock Plus and it is easy to think you have clicked the correct link.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Using NoScript :cool: gets rid of this type of problem. Since I started using NoScript and later on Adblock on a restricted sandboxed Firefox, I have not seen anything like a rogue or malware. Dangerous download buttons don't show up or wont work in pages unless JS is temporarily allowed, that's one of the many benefits that I get out of using NoScript

Bo

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
bo.elam said:
Using NoScript :cool: gets rid of this type of problem. Since I started using NoScript and later on Adblock on a restricted sandboxed Firefox, I have not seen anything like a rogue or malware. Dangerous download buttons don't show up or wont work in pages unless JS is temporarily allowed, that's one of the many benefits that I get out of using NoScript

Bo

I allow temporarily scripts in IE/Tools/Internet Options ... ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:

Bo

The problem with NoScript, if you don't allow scripts then you can't download. Of coarse you can block third-party scripts and still download but many sites now use their own scripts to display ads, many of the torrent sites.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
The problem with NoScript, if you don't allow scripts then you can't download.
You can always whitelist any site that you want or that you use often. To me, the benefits of using NS are greater than the nuisances, if any. NS is the main reason why I use Firefox.

Bo

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes seen such adds. The actual link is located somewhere inconspicuously but such are prominent. IT is a nuisance. Many small programmers' website have such misleading buttons.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'The actual [download] link is located somewhere inconspicuously but such are prominent. IT is a nuisance.'

- Not for me ..

I allow only temporarily (so on my demand) the downloads in IE/Tools/Internet Options ...;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.