Not open for further replies.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Windows defrag is fine. Other products that are free that I would recommend are, Defraggler and Mydefrag. Mydefrag is old school, but it's one of the best you can get for free that does some good optimizations. Smart-defrag, althougth new is not bad too.

Auslogics defrag free or Pro you need to be careful. Eset constantly detects some suspicious domains when the product tries to update or blocks the website directly. Malwarebytes is more aggressive, deletes almost everything about the product. Firefox also prevented access to the website or domain, just after installation(thanking you for installing the software). And Hitman Pro detected some PUPs traces too. But as a defragmenter it's good and highly customizable.

If you need a paid defragmenter, go for O&O defrag. I think it's the best product you can get for defrag:)

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Actually Auslogics is better as the windows defrag IF you dont touch a SSD with it.

O&O is safer and way better as windows defrag even in space defrag.

Windows sadly "skips" alot of files. and specially while gaming you can see the difference between O&O and windows defrag.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Do not defrag an SSD unless you want to throw it in the garbage soon...

That is not true.

"HyperFast® solid state drive optimizer now comes standard with Diskeeper 16. HyperFast is designed to keep SSD laptops, desktops and netbooks running at top speeds while also extending the lifespan of your solid state drive - saving you money in replacement costs."

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

It does, and since Vista, it automatically runs a defrag weekly. However, some of the third party alternatives have more options, and in some cases they can improve disk performance more than Microsoft's defrag too. I say in some cases, because Microsoft's own defrag software works very well, and benchmarks show better performance from it than some of the alternatives.
I don't think third party software can "improve" disk performance .
For a SSD...what is the current consensus....to defrag or no?
Never ever defrag SSD

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't think third party software can "improve" disk performance .
They can. Just take a look a the following link.
The Big Windows 7 Defragmenter Test - The Benchmarks
Never ever defrag SSD
You can defrag SSDs. Despite what you hear, it won't kill them, as they don't have a limited life. My main SSD is a cheap Chinese brand, and I've written over 33TB of data to it so far.
The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes

However, there is not much point doing so, as you will get very little improvement in speed, unlike defragmenting a heavily fragmented hard drive.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 65219

They can. Just take a look a the following link.
The Big Windows 7 Defragmenter Test - The Benchmarks

You can defrag SSDs. Despite what you hear, it won't kill them, as they don't have a limited life. My main SSD is a cheap Chinese brand, and I've written over 33TB of data to it so far.
The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes

However, there is not much point doing so, as you will get very little improvement in speed, unlike defragmenting a heavily fragmented hard drive.
I don't hear anything.My SSD tool Samsung Magician Disabled Windows Defrag ( I use a Samsung Evo 850 ).
So I think Samsung knows better than me. You don't think so ?
also in older version of Samsung Magician ( 4.x ) recommend u to disable Superfetch . ( to increase SSD lifespan )

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So I think Samsung knows better than me. You don't think so ?
It is a very common misconception that defragging a SSD will cause it to die, or at least greatly shorten its life. This is based on the belief that SSDs can only handle a limited number of writes. However, this has been proven not to be the case, and SSDs should actually last much longer than hard drives.

Reactions: frogboy

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Several are mentioned in this test of Win 7 defragmenters, but the differences are not significant among most of them. That means the built-in defrag should do fine, together with any optimization done automatically by the OS every few days.

SSD is obviously the best but it's still too expensive. You'll need a regular HD to store additional programs, etc.

I also noticed that the scheduled Win 7 defrag might not run if something does not make the system idle, so I had to disable the default scheduler and create a new one to make the defrag run at a specific time when I know the machines aren't being used. The same problem does not take place in Win 8.1 and 10 machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.