DNS encryption/authentication - e.g., DNSCrypt (which is reincarnated, NOT abandoned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
With so many IETF RFC's and draft RFC's in play, DNS encryption and authentication are hot IT topics.

One hot, non-RFC player is the DNSCrypt protocol ( Official DNSCrypt website ) and related implementations.

Although DNSCrypt was abandoned for a short while in January 2018, it has since been reincarnated - and is arguably now a strong player in the DNS encryption and authentication conversation.

The command-line proxy DNSCrypt-Proxy ( GitHub - jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy: DNSCrypt Proxy - A flexible DNS proxy, with support for encrypted DNS protocols. ) has been completely rewritten in Go (goodbye, C). Functionality improvements between the original DNSCrypt-Proxy and DNSCrypt-Proxy 2 are huge ( Differences to v1 · jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy Wiki · GitHub ). Implementations for many platforms ( Official DNSCrypt website ) exist. E.g., now that the dust has settled since DNSCrypt-Proxy 2 was released, Simple DNSCrypt ( Simple DNSCrypt ) works like a charm for me as a Windows-client GUI over the new proxy.

DNSCrypt's FAQ page is quite possibly the world's most interesting, currently-available source of DNS encryption and authentication info/debate:
Official DNSCrypt website

The above FAQ page also includes links to some competing projects (e.g., DNS Privacy Implementation Status - DNS Privacy Project - DNS Privacy Project ),

Meanwhile, what had been an insightful analysis of DNSCrypt-Proxy 1 by Tenta published just 2.5 months ago ( Tenta DNS over TLS vs DNSCrypt ) has in my opinion now been rendered in large part outdated and incorrect. The DNSCrypt folks may have offered or may offer a point-by-point, DNSCrypt-Proxyv2-based response to the aforementioned Tenta blog post; I haven't looked for it. Kudos to any of you who find and post it as a comment in this thread.

Given the rocky "development of new standards" world, I imagine that over the next 1-3 years we will see major shifts to the DNS landscape that will render the data noted on aforementioned page Official DNSCrypt website change significantly. I am most curious.

Meanwhile, on my Windows devices ( SECURE - Meltcheesedec Security Configuration 2018 ) I use (the newly-reincarnated, stable) Simple DNSCrypt while on networks I control and trust; when on all other networks, I turn off Simple DNSCrypt and turn on my VPN.

For additional platforms, see section 'Pre-built binaries' at GitHub - jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy: DNSCrypt Proxy - A flexible DNS proxy, with support for encrypted DNS protocols. , and the Implementations page Official DNSCrypt website .

What are your thoughts on:
- the future of DNS encryption/authentication?
- DNSCrypt's reincarnation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.