DNS Speed Benchmark & Security Test - Clouds keep it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Benchmark Test (Performed with DNS Benchmark)

rf7vp.png

- Benchmark TXT results has been attached.

Security DNS Test. (Tested against 20 randomly gathered but tested working malicious URLs.)

yXFOj.png

ClearCloud (Sunbelt Software)

(Malc0de) Blocked 16 out of 20.
(MalwareDomainsList) Blocked 15/20

aXJ1C.png

Norton DNS (Symantec)

(Malc0de) Blocked 3 out of 20.
(MalwareDomainsList) Blocked 8/20

mX08O.png

Comodo Secure DNS (Comodo)

(Malc0de) Blocked 1 out of 20.
(MalwareDomainsList) Blocked 3/20

Speed: ClearCloud provides the best speed and security out of these three security products. The slowest and performing being Norton DNS and Comodo Secure DNS.

Reliability: All DNS worked as they should, No connection issues, dropouts or other issues were seen.

Usability: Setting up your computer to use any of the above DNS services is easy to do, It only requires you to enter 2 lines of numbers into your Network Adapters properties.
After that your free to continue using your PC as you normally would.

Features: ClearCloud, Norton DNS and Comodo Secure DNS all offer protection by blocking malicious and dangerous links on the web.

End of my review :cool:

Attachments

• DNS Benchmark Results.txt
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,128

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Very good review. So by the look of it Clear Cloud is the way to go.

Only question:
Norton DNS you pay for??
Clear Cloud, (well I know is free)
& Comodo DNS is free??

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
All these DNS services are free.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ahhh..ok...well in that case I might look into them. By the look of MrXidus's review Clear Cloud is pretty good.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I agree with the review. ClearCloud DNS is top compared to DNS's from Norton and Comodo.

Although I have had some issues with using a DNS. Issue with Chrome not being able to connect, where it recommended me to Check Off DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance. I also used CCleaner to see if that helped, but in the end I had to Turn Off ClearCloud.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well I have not tried it yet but I want to try it tho.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Great test. Just one small note: the speed of the DNS server depends on your location. Other users might get different results when it comes to speed.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
bogdan said:
Great test. Just one small note: the speed of the DNS server depends on your location. Other users might get different results when it comes to speed.

In Norton's case

ndns-img02.jpg

Norton's speed has always been fine with me. Although I may look into ClearCloud again now. Thanks for this test MrX.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It's best to use " DNS Benchmark" to see if the DNS you want to add is actually faster than the one that your ISP is offering...
I'm a standard case meaning that my ISP DNS is much faster than any of this DNS... :D
Also you can use "DNS Jumper" to change with one-click your DNS servers. :D
[attachment=265]
[attachment=266]

ClearCloud (Sunbelt Software)

(Malc0de) Blocked 16 out of 20.
(MalwareDomainsList) Blocked 15/20

WOW.... 16/20.....impressive...didn't expect to see such good detection from any DNS service....
You used 0 day malware samples right?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 685
  • 2.png
    2.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 692

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
@Jack I used DNSJumper to help me with the test ;P
Yes I used the latest links from Malc0de and MDL, ClearCloud did great they are doing good on it so I am glad.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Norton DNS get's it's information from the safe web Database (NIS/NAV webguard) which doesn't block alot of websites, so these results from Norton I can believe. I'm going to give Clearcloud another shot :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Liked the detection of Clearcloud that's why I noticed before that when I try to search in Google with the term which redirect on so many malicious sites Clearcloud blocks most while Norton and Comodo DNS just few are blocked.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I find more speed with my ISP's DNS Server than ClearCloud, I'll experiment with this for a week because Safe Web can block malicious sites(But not as good as ClearCloud).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.