Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
my hungarian ISP DIGI blocks both 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 :LOL:
I could probably never be able to use Cloudflare DNS

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

http://any.ac/E394n6.webm

gave a chance to Forticlient, I'm getting stomach problems from the UI and the way UI works

you can get into settings, but you can't edit it. once you find somewhere an option that asks to elevate, you can, but then its bugged.

lets not talk about how group selection works...

if you want to elevate, you can't just have a main option, you have to go to that certain option to elevate every time.

then it blocked my own domain for being new, fine, tried disabling those categories, as shown on the webm, doesn't work.

logs tab has no option to right click and exclude, you gotta go to Exclusions and manually fill it out.

and all this just with one module, I can't imagine what it's like with all the other modules....

i suggest them hiring some UI designer cause all the technology is wasted behind this catastrophy they call a console.

Looks like user error, I've never heard of such issues and I think a good number of people on the forum use it. Maybe they can help you. Also, keep in mind, the GUI is rarely seen by end users, it's for enterprise and the configuration takes place on the Fortigate/EMS and is pushed to the clients. Also, most of us make adjustments in the CONF file, not in the GUI and in the CONF you have flexibility enough to practically re-design how the entire product works.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Looks like user error, I've never heard of such issues and I think a good number of people on the forum use it. Maybe they can help you. Also, keep in mind, the GUI is rarely seen by end users, it's for enterprise and the configuration takes place on the Fortigate/EMS and is pushed to the clients. Also, most of us make adjustments in the CONF file, not in the GUI and in the CONF you have flexibility enough to practically re-design how the entire product works.
that UI bug is not user error, you literally can't change those categories at all.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You can use VPN then..
why? in order to use just a DNS?
VPN usually slows down the internet speed a bit despite the fastest VPN in our regions and it does cost some money
even if I use a slow DNS, it's still faster or the same as using under the fastest VPN with the fastest DNS

In my region, google DNS is even faster than my ISP's DNS so I will stick to Google DNS if I want speed. Privacy is not a problem for me

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
my hungarian ISP DIGI blocks both 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 :LOL:
I could probably never be able to use Cloudflare DNS
How do they block it ? with things on your router level ?
Have you try to set 1.1.1.1 in your computer system (in options ipv4 and ipv6 that should work No ?)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
How do they block it ? with things on your router level ?
Have you try to set 1.1.1.1 in your computer system (in options ipv4 and ipv6 that should work No ?)
yes I did try but nothing could be loaded even google.com or malwaretips.com
I also tried to ping it but it got "destination host unreachable

I think it's at ISP level because I don't change anything in my router

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I found out that my stupid At&t DSL/Fiber Gateways blocks the IP 1.1.1.1. If you are not able to resolve addresses, use 1.0.0.1 instead for Cloudfare. (y)

Beware if you use DNS over TLS your local Hosts file and your AV won't kick in to block phishing/adware/malware domains because they are not programmed to check traffic over other ports, much less encrypted traffic.
So, which AVs don't check encrypted traffic currently if use DNS over TLS?

Thanks

Reactions: Azure and DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
So, which AVs don't check encrypted traffic currently if use DNS over TLS?

Thanks
Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Mostly because DNS over TLS uses a different port than 53 so it flies straight under the radar of everything. The pro is faster resolution I guess....
DNS over TLS also breaks Windows 10 Store too.

Reactions: HarborFront

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
http://any.ac/E394n6.webm

gave a chance to Forticlient, I'm getting stomach problems from the UI and the way UI works

you can get into settings, but you can't edit it. once you find somewhere an option that asks to elevate, you can, but then its bugged.

lets not talk about how group selection works...

if you want to elevate, you can't just have a main option, you have to go to that certain option to elevate every time.

then it blocked my own domain for being new, fine, tried disabling those categories, as shown on the webm, doesn't work.

logs tab has no option to right click and exclude, you gotta go to Exclusions and manually fill it out.

and all this just with one module, I can't imagine what it's like with all the other modules....

i suggest them hiring some UI designer cause all the technology is wasted behind this catastrophy they call a console.

I run only the web filtering module and honestly it was easy to set up all the things I wanted to block and I never touch it now.

I've had none of the problems you've mentioned. Very strange. :unsure:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
why? in order to use just a DNS?
VPN usually slows down the internet speed a bit despite the fastest VPN in our regions and it does cost some money
even if I use a slow DNS, it's still faster or the same as using under the fastest VPN with the fastest DNS

In my region, google DNS is even faster than my ISP's DNS so I will stick to Google DNS if I want speed. Privacy is not a problem for me

No man you use VPN to visit the site what you want to see and change the DNS then stop using VPN....

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I run only the web filtering module and honestly it was easy to set up all the things I wanted to block and I never touch it now.

I've had none of the problems you've mentioned. Very strange. :unsure:
so you're saying you can't replicate what i showed in the webm?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
yes I did try but nothing could be loaded even google.com or malwaretips.com
I also tried to ping it but it got "destination host unreachable

I think it's at ISP level because I don't change anything in my router
I have changed my DNS to 1.1.1.1 and secondary to 1.0.0.1 and it works just fine

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
i guess its time to reinstall it and try again
alright so i reinstalled it, the issue still exists, but after backing up the config, editing it and restoring, it works.
it's a UI bug for sure.

ps: after restoring an edited config file, the UI showed correctly, then after closing it and opening it again, the UI is back to showing wrong things, but Forticlient is behaving based on the config restored and not based on the UI.
well I can live with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.