Do I Need A Power On Self Test Card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi All you techs. I have docking cables and I have a power supply tester(Rosewill LCD RTK_PST)(used once)
Has anyone here ever used a Power on self card. I'm wondering if I should have one in my arsenal. I'm really not into hardware, but it might come in handy if it's any good. Copied the below from internet! Are they any good??
Definition: A POST test card is a small diagnostic tool that displays error codes generated during the Power on Self Test

These errors, called Post codes, correspond directly to a test that has failed and can help determine what piece of hardware is causing an issue.

Most POST test cards plug directly into expansion slots in the mother board while a few others connect externally via a parallel or serial port.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pow...8&oe=utf-8#q=power+on+self+test+card&tbm=shop

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Unless you are into repairing PC's as in the IT field I do not think it would needed.Although some of the prices are insignificant so for a few bucks you could have one laying around. All desktop motherboards i have installed will display the error codes of course not all do as this depends on the manufacturer.You can usually find the problem online with the appropriate code.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
One other issue is that the POST codes may not let you determine the actual issue. For example, the last build that I did used a motherboard from a company called ASRock (flimsy, very flimsy). On initial boots, I either got stopped with a HD error, or was stopped by a RAM issue code. Turned out to be a bent CPU pin for which error codes don't exist.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
D- POST codes are generated by the Motherboard. Some MB's will actually have a LED display were one can directly see them. On other boards, the codes are generated by beeps, with the spacing and number of the beeps indicating a specific code which will occur for a specific hardware issue (these codes are actually from the BIOS on the MD, and will vary according to the manufacturer of the BIOS (Award, AMI, etc). POST testers will convert the beep codes to a visual code.

But I believe the Roswell card that you ask about is nothing but a Power Supply tester (a glorified volt meter). It will give you a voltage too high or too low indication, and quite frankly I've never met anyone where this data would be useful.

Reactions: donetao and frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
But I believe the Roswell card that you ask about is nothing but a Power Supply tester (a glorified volt meter). It will give you a voltage too high or too low indication, and quite frankly I've never met anyone where this data would be useful.
Hi I'm not sure why you say it's not useful??? Wouldn't it be useful to tell you your power supply may be your problem??

f1computerexperts

Feb 10, 2014
I own a computer shop and I have never used one. I see them on ebay all the time. Most of them plug into the old isa slots and any boards made within the last 10 years don't have them. I listen to the post codes to help determine the problem. If I can't get the post error beeps, then I go through a process of in order: swapping out the memory, disconnecting all drives and peripheral cards, swapping out the video card, power supply and finally the cpu. If somebody tells you your power switch is bad, take that one with a grain of salt. I've seen two of them in the past 20 years.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I hear you! But what if you don't have all those parts to swap out. Isn't the HD the biggest cause of a PC not booting?? What I do is try to boot with a live CD like a Puppy Love CD. If the PC boots to Linux, I figure the RAM is good. Am I wrong?? I then would suspect the HD or a corrupted OS. Please correct me as that's the way I learn new things. I have read that Puppy Love doesn't need a working HD and uses RAM to boot!! Thank You!!
I own a computer shop and I have never used one. I see them on ebay all the time. Most of them plug into the old isa slots and any boards made within the last 10 years don't have them. I listen to the post codes to help determine the problem. If I can't get the post error beeps, then I go through a process of in order: swapping out the memory, disconnecting all drives and peripheral cards, swapping out the video card, power supply and finally the cpu. If somebody tells you your power switch is bad, take that one with a grain of salt. I've seen two of them in the past 20 years.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! @f1computerexperts ! Have you ever used a live CD like Hiren's boot CD. That can help you narrow things down a little before you just start swapping out parts. Don't want to get to far off subject. I have one in my desk drawer,but I have never used it. If we could maybe bring that in to the discussion, it might help someone??
Here's a link that explains a little how to use Hiren's Boot CD.Has anyone used it?? If so, please add your experience to this thread as it might be helpful to use with the Power on Self Test Card.
PS I'm the only hope these seniors have to survive the computer world these days and I need all the help I can get by picking your brain!!http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hirens-boot-cd-allinone-boot-cd/ I like the W7 system repair CD for a live bootable CD also. Also I live CD that has some good tools! http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
Thank you! This is the way I learn!!;):)
To me,that are a lot better ways than to just start swapping out parts!!;);)

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Maybe getting a little off subject, but there are lots of live CD's you can use before you start swapping out hardware.
Surely MT has some techs that use these software for trouble shooting!!
https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hi I'm not sure why you say it's not useful??? Wouldn't it be useful to tell you your power supply may be your problem??
If your power supply has a problem you will probably know that without a tester.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hi @exterminator20 ! Maybe so, but what if you just had low voltages??

I wouldnt worry about it until it went out but I have a spare good power supply on hand

As @f1computerexperts stated above the sequence of beeps will give you the problem also.Like he said going through a set sequence of the most likely hardware problems is also fairly easy to find the problem

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
As @f1computerexperts stated above the sequence of beeps will give you the problem also.Like he said going through a set sequence of the most likely hardware problems is also fairly easy to find the problem
Hi! I guess everyone has there way of doing things. I just don't have the excess to all that hardware. There are ton's of live CD's that will test your hardware. That's the way I have to do this.I'm not a repair shop and my labor is free.;) If I did have a repair shop, I would still use live CD's to trouble shoot. It sure would cut down your inventory and might even cut down on your repair time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.