Solved Do I need Intel software for my SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A quick query, do I need these Intel software running as a service in the background for my laptop's SSD?

upload_2014-7-20_1-58-14.png

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
The Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service is used to enable premium video playback (such as Blu-ray*) for Intel® HD Graphics. It does not collect any user information. Disabling the service will prevent certain types of premium video from playing on the system; however, unprotected video such as user-generated content and YouTube* videos will continue to play.

You can disable them, with no loss imo unless you use Blue-ray as all other video's are probably Internet based / flash

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you mean Blu-ray content that is disc-based only? Because I haven't a disc tray on my laptop.

Upvote 0

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Do you mean Blu-ray content that is disc-based only? Because I haven't a disc tray on my laptop.

Yes and exotic video extensions services by this module.
But generally you can turn this off if you like without much loss of functionality.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ok, thanks. Do you know about any of the rest of the Intel software?

Upvote 0

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Yes i do for the most part, but here is the catch these services are not exactly vital to your OS but some of them have vitual internal features for Video card and other intel chip set.
So my advise is simple: If you MUST then you can disable most of them however given the NON intrusive services you might be even better off just leaving them there.
And if you really want to know what is what then type the name at the Intel webpage (Search) and look it up as it will tell you in detail what is what and how it works and then you can make up your own mind.
Personally i would leave them just like that..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.