Advice Request Do I need Sandboxie?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sandboxie is great for any application that you use daily; browsers, email and messaging clients. You can run File Explorer under SBIE supervision, so any apps and files opened from the Downloads folder will be isolated. And it's useful for testing out legitimate software you may not want to keep.

SBIE has a greater purpose rather than being used to run malware. It's secure and proven to be solid protection against unwanted system changes.

I don't think SBIE supports Windows Apps from Store.

SBIE cannot protect you against online scams or phishing websites, and data may be affected when shared in the isolated environment. For example, uploading of documents. The Internet is not safe. :)

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
The only time I don't use a browser with sandboxie is when they or their extensions need to be updated or I want to add some bookmarks this way my browsing history or any cookies that I may have accumulated during my browsing session are never saved on my system.

Reactions: Rengar

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
@RXZ6Q just ask @cruelsister with regards to malware test... do you need it?!
That question really depends w/ you, I use it for both malware protection and keeping my browser clean.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Did anyone of you guys tested it against malware :)?
Keep in mind that the more advanced malware codes know how to "recognize" when they are executed in a sandbox (or in a virtual environment) and self-terminating almost immediately.

In some cases, a malware running in the sandbox might not have the same behavior as outside (rootkits, for example: in the sandbox are not able to install kernel drivers, outside yes).

Also, Sandboxie prevents writing to the real system (on the filesystem and the registry), but NOT the reading, and it doesn't prevent the malware from communicating with the outside: if you have personal data on the PC you are at risk.

D

Deleted member 178

Also, Sandboxie prevents writing to the real system (on the filesystem and the registry), but NOT the reading, and it doesn't prevent the malware from communicating with the outside: if you have personal data on the PC you are at risk.
By default settings , you are right; if with customized settings, the malware can't connect outside the sandbox.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I used to use Sandboxie. Wasn't bad at all! More didn't find a whole lot of use in it. Hopefully it can support MS Edge at some point. (I am enticed by reward points. LOL) :)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Sandboxie is great for any application that you use daily; browsers, email and messaging clients. You can run File Explorer under SBIE supervision, so any apps and files opened from the Downloads folder will be isolated. And it's useful for testing out legitimate software you may not want to keep.

SBIE has a greater purpose rather than being used to run malware. It's secure and proven to be solid protection against unwanted system changes..

That's how I test limited trial softwares or suspicious ones or for those that I would only run once.

Another use is a quickie analysis of malwares without rebooting the PC.

Reactions: Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.