Advice Request Do I Really Need a VPN for Torrenting?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
If you’re in a country where there’s a torrenting ban in place, using a VPN to download files over BitTorrent is an absolute must. Elsewhere, though, torrenting without a VPN is less of an issue.

If you’re a torrenter, you probably have heard the many warnings about needing to use a VPN while using BitTorrent to download files. Do you really need to heed these warnings, though, and can you maybe torrent without a VPN?

Full article and some more information on

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I've stopped using VPN years ago. My country has no torrent control and I believe in security not privacy.

Reactions: Moonhorse

SillyBilly299

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 26, 2015
Well as it said in the article, if your country's piracy laws aren't that strict, it isn't really necessary. The function of a VPN is basically to avoid revealing your location to the government in case they managed to track down.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
\rdssseI have a very unusual opinion: You should follow the laws of your home country, then you don't have to hide behind a VPN.
The problem with this kind of opinion is that laws and policing are usually introduced to protect the rich (in this case music/movie/games industry) and protect the money. Ask yourself who torrents? Poor people, young people and students don't have the money to buy digital or physical media. It's about policing the poor and doing favours for the big media companies and helping them keep their huge profits and keep their walled gardens. Most people who torrent would love to buy official physical/digital games/music/software, but they just don't have the means to do so.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Full article and some more information on
It depends on what you are torrenting and who you are torrenting from.

When in doubt, use a trusted no-log VPN that allows torrenting, or you may end up getting some warnings from your ISP and / or loss of internet service and / or:

😁

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
The problem with this kind of opinion is that laws and policing are usually introduced to protect the rich (in this case music/movie/games industry) and protect the money. Ask yourself who torrents? Poor people, young people and students don't have the money to buy digital or physical media. It's about policing the poor and doing favours for the big media companies and helping them keep their huge profits and keep their walled gardens. Most people who torrent would love to buy official physical/digital games/music/software, but they just don't have the means to do so.
There is no human right to cheap use of music, films, etc. . According to your legal opinion, I can steal a car if I don't earn enough to be able to buy it. The right is indivisible.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
There is no human right, yet society tolerates piracy because it is not a serious crime in most countries. Because the main group of people torrenting are the poor, students or young people the punishment for getting caught is a stern letter. Crimes effecting intellectual property are given less punishment in society than crimes directly affecting people for good reason. And you should know poverty/socio-economic status is a huge driver of crime in society, in fact it's one of the main contributors to crime.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.