Do I really need an anti-keylogger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014
Do I really need an anti-keylogger? Is this necessary with other av software?

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah, it's not really needed. It's for paranoid users. But some antivirus has a built-in anti-keylogger like Webroot.

BTW I'm using Zemana Anti-Logger. :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Not if you use common sense. Remember keyloggers can't prevent keylogging, they only alert you when a program tries to keylog, which means a larger trojan, worm, or other malware is already on your computer. Most AV already have built-in keylog protection and when you delete the large trojan or other malware, the keylogger is also deleted :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you're still concerned, you can use Zemana Free Version. It consumes very little RAM and you can't notice it's there!
http://zemana.com/product/antilogger-free/overview/
Or use the paid version of Zemana but use 90 day twitter promotion:
http://zemana.com/
1. Type in TWTR in license area
2. Follow Directions
I use paid version of Zemana but get free from giveaway :)

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You can block software based keyloggers by intercepting APIs at a very low level, I'm not entirely sure how low level Zemana works (having never really used it), not foolproof though, there are ways around it ;)

Then you have hardware based keyloggers. Plug a small device in between the keyboard and the computer and you can record the keys. The only way to detect this in software would be to use some timing techniques (I don't even know whether there would be a large enough delay in keystrokes for this to work correctly).

Finally you have more creative methods such as hidden microphones which record the sound of your keystrokes and can detect which keys have been pressed in which order. The only way to beat this would be to use an on-screen keyboard, but then you have the risk of the software protection being bypassed.

Not to mention it's one thing to protect against software recording your keystrokes but does software such as Zemana protect against extracting values directly from memory? etc.. Protecting against keylogging is one thing, but there are so many other ways to get your data, it's pretty much pointless in my opinion ;)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Guys, Zemana will come with new interface and features in the near future ;) For all their products..

I don't doubt the software and it does have it's uses, but it won't protect against a targeted hack attack, or against more sophisticated malware. Not Zemana's fault, but more a misconception by users that an anti-keylogger will stop people discovering your passwords when you type them in. Sadly not true, as I explained in part, above ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, it's not really needed. It's for paranoid users. But some antivirus has a built-in anti-keylogger like Webroot.

BTW I'm using Zemana Anti-Logger. :D
I too was (am :rolleyes:) one of those paranoid users, temporarily cured of my uncertainty:confused: after winning & receiving a Zemana Anti-Logger key from Jack (my very 1st giveaway!):cool: when I'd first joined up! Although it claims to have expired, whenever firing up the decrepit and sleeping XP which now operates in slow motion, the Zemana seems to work as sharply as the WinPatrol that's still on the system; and even more so than the Avira Free AV. This makes me wonder:
  1. Is all the antilogger dismissal factual with anti-logger programs simply manning the wall against terrorist keyloggers as a keylogging killer commodo comando?:p
  2. Am I in danger of becomming a fanboy werewolf...every time the moon is full??o_O ;):D

Anti keylogger's only work after the keylogger is on the system, it is best to not get them in the first place ;)

illumination, although I won't be doing the back stroke using my long lost (& retired) friend XP,:oops: do you feel the built in Windows AVs are preventative enough for 7 & 8.1 systems to keep them from contracting keylogger-itus?o_O
..or should I simply chuck all my Windows sytems literally out the window, and switch over completely to linux?:D :):)

Not if you use common sense. Remember keyloggers can't prevent keylogging, they only alert you when a program tries to keylog, which means a larger trojan, worm, or other malware is already on your computer. Most AV already have built-in keylog protection and when you delete the large trojan or other malware, the keylogger is also deleted :D

Chromatinfish, do you think there are a few (if not many) AV's asleep at the wheel which could possibly miss ''..a larger trojan, worm, or other malware", and thus the keylogger too?o_O
I wouldn't wish to be a paranoid cat whom has to sleep in his sandbox!:p:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You can block software based keyloggers by intercepting APIs at a very low level, I'm not entirely sure how low level Zemana works (having never really used it), not foolproof though, there are ways around it ;)

Then you have hardware based keyloggers. Plug a small device in between the keyboard and the computer and you can record the keys. The only way to detect this in software would be to use some timing techniques (I don't even know whether there would be a large enough delay in keystrokes for this to work correctly).

Finally you have more creative methods such as hidden microphones which record the sound of your keystrokes and can detect which keys have been pressed in which order. The only way to beat this would be to use an on-screen keyboard, but then you have the risk of the software protection being bypassed.

Not to mention it's one thing to protect against software recording your keystrokes but does software such as Zemana protect against extracting values directly from memory? etc.. Protecting against keylogging is one thing, but there are so many other ways to get your data, it's pretty much pointless in my opinion ;)

Exhaulted Cowpipe!
I am so glad to read your comments about our misperceived safety with software when at the hands (or ears) of hackers. The screen keyboard you'd mentioned, such as the one I use (when I'm not lazy :rolleyes:) to log in on LastPass, I won't skip this step any more.:) Additionally, do you think our Windows 8/8.1 screen keyboards are safer in this respect?
Thanks in advance, my friend.;)

I

illumination

Exhaulted Cowpipe!
I am so glad to read your comments about our misperceived safety with software when at the hands (or ears) of hackers. The screen keyboard you'd mentioned, such as the one I use (when I'm not lazy :rolleyes:) to log in on LastPass, I won't skip this step any more.:) Additionally, do you think our Windows 8/8.1 screen keyboards are safer in this respect?
Thanks in advance, my friend.;)
What about screenshot keyloggers, capturing keystrokes, clipboards, screenshot, applications and even websites...

Think im going to bury my computer in a hoffa style concrete vault, that way, no one can access it lol...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
What about screenshot keyloggers, capturing keystrokes, clipboards, screenshot, applications and even websites...

Think im going to bury my computer in a hoffa style concrete vault, that way, no one can access it lol...

+1 As THAT is the unconscious (looking over my shoulder..:eek:) fear I have not been able to quite put into words!
Even as I have difficulty taking a screen shot, much prefering to <copy> & <paste>, I am concerned about captured images. *sigh*
That vault wouldn't be so bad with a pizza oven, pumping A/C, a basketball court/movie theater, and a subterranian swimming pool!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.