Solved Do I really need anti-virus on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
na
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
na
Hi Friends :)
I could never get exact answer whether I need any anti virus on linux or not, I've moved from windows to linux few days ago & totally love in it.
We may need anti virus on linux to let our removable drives stay clean, apart from it does linux OS needs anti virus to protect itself? (not windows files)

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
hi Tani, In my opinion, I think that linux OS need an Antivirus, since there are some malwares created for linux.
If you are experient enough to detect this threats you dont need Av protection but if you download malware or visit phishing sites you may need extra protection, AV protection.
I always recomend antivirus protection for any OS if there are some AV available for that system.

Reactions: Tani
Upvote 0

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Thank you friends, I also assume specially java based virus can run over linux I was just curious if anti viruses are actually good enough for linux so that they can detect linux based viruses, any suggestions you'd like to share about specific anti virus for linux Friends? Sorry for asking this thing in this thread but it'd complete the purpose of making this thread :)

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you are going to scan USB's for proper disinfecting those autorun based threats then a scanner is fine.

Then add a siteadvisor extension to your browser for web threats.

Reactions: Dirk41 and Tani
Upvote 0

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Thank you friends, I'd installed eset as I was having it's license already, but got bored of linux within few days :( reverting back to windows :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.