Do not have to enable the Avira Engine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 10, 2016
QUOTE:
Tencent uses BitDefender engine, they switched a few weeks ago.
UNQUOTE

from Kate_L in this thread:

360 (Chinese AV's ) my thoughts

I have been getting multiple failures to update for some time now (not sure exactly when, just noticed it the last few days.)

So, I am assuming that this is the reason and have disabled the avira engine.

Note: I am still using xpsp3 with firefox browser, and have noticed no overbearing load on my pc usage while scanning, I have it set to scan at 3am CST, and I am still online or playing cards and it will flash that scan was completed and I had forgotten the time. :)

Any thoughts?

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 10, 2016
Hello, thanks for your reply, I have uninstalled, and then reinstalled, and even downloaded the latest offline database and reinstalled that. 360 goes through installing the avira engine no problem, and then when I check it by going to "check updates" program and bitdefender are okay, just get a failed message with avira, even if there are no updates, I should get an okay.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
There are 2 areas to enable these extra antivirus engines , click on protection mode and check box for avira and alsovirus scan and check box to install Avira engine and updates.
This is for 360 qihoo

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 10, 2016
Hello, and thanks for your response. :)

I do know these 2 places and both are enabled, security protection is Security configured, and both engines are installed and enabled under the virus scan section.

the message is:

upgrade failed due to network

this may be due to a temporary network failure or incorrect proxy server setting. Please check it and try again.

Since I am not using a proxy, (not even sure what one is), and I am online at the time I checked it is not a network failure. All I can figure is if avira is indeed using bitdefender's database, then there is no need to have avira enabled. ??

Waltraute

Mar 30, 2016
I found an answer to this problem on another website that worked for me just now, and would like to share it here. You need to change 360's download settings: right click the tray icon, choose Download Manager, then the (tiny) settings icon top right. In the settings screen, untick 'use P2P upgrade booster', and select 'do not use proxy'. You should now be able to download the Avira and Bitdefender engines, and upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.