Do you agree with this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

How could a OS update like that cause physical damage to hardware?

Sustained elevated heat, increased voltage, etc. It's not magic, it's not unheard of. Research it online.

FYI there is software that is written deliberately to kill PCs by trashing hardware components. Research it online.

Reactions: shmu26

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Reactions: frogboy and shmu26

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Sustained elevated heat, increased voltage, etc. It's not magic, it's not unheard of. Research it online.

FYI there is software that is written deliberately to kill PCs by trashing hardware components. Research it online.

It's not unheard of, but it's rare and should not happen (normally). Thermal protection is something all system builders should consider. I'm not talking about the CPUs and other classic bridges on the mb, but also about the chassis design, temperature monitoring inside the chassis and airflow control. I saw a very small number of laptops being overcooked by software, but it eventually should shutdown if something is wrong. Increased voltages are a result of high resource usage, and along with increased voltage, temperatures go up, but up until a certain point, which the system builder decides it's safe. Throttling the components is also something all manufacturers are implementing these days. Some manufacturers unlock settings in the BIOS regarding warning and shutdown temperatures - i consider this extremely dangerous, they should do the research, not us.

I never heard of such a big meltdown before. I saw melted wires and other stuff because the laptops were full of dust and they were overheated constantly - high resource usage (and also because of the faulty design) but all of them were newer ultrabooks. These have a tendency to overheat, everything is so crowded inside the laptop, barely a few micrometers of distance between the components and almost no airflow in the chassis other than the coolers/pipes on top of the CPU and GPU (and all the fancy marketing the manufacturers are presenting won't cool the laptop).

Thing is, might not be the fault of MS. For sure part of the problem, or may i say "the trigger", but eventually the laptop should automatically react to high temperatures. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Update: i had a Sony Vaio ultrabook a few years ago, a beauty, carbon fiber chassis, power, everything. One day it just shut down. It didn't power on for 30 minutes or so. After it eventually did power on, it shut down after another 5 minutes. I took it apart, found the cooler (the plastic parts) melted all over the heat pipes on top of the CPU, like it was on fire or something. Obviously no warranty after 2 and a half years. Couldn't find replacements parts, contacted Sony and everything. So it's now a piece of garbage because of the faulty design.

Last edited:

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Not sure why Windows 10 should be singled out. Yesterday I had a load of updates to my Windows 7 work machine that came at an inopportune time. So far I've really liked Windows 10, and find it very stable and fast. I have protected my privacy with it, but I do think a lot of the privacy concerns are hype and no worse than previous iterations of Windows, a lot of what its sending to Microsoft is just stuff to help them counter bugs.

Not sure why Windows 10 should be singled out. Yesterday I had a load of updates to my Windows 7 work machine that came at an inopportune time. So far I've really liked Windows 10, and find it very stable and fast. I have protected my privacy with it, but I do think a lot of the privacy concerns are hype, a lot of what its sending to Microsoft is just stuff to help them counter bugs.

The linked article in the OP is about W10. That's why the thread is about W10.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As far as I'm concerned if MS releases Windows 11 tomorrow I'll still upgrade :D

I don't think I want to use Windows 7 or 8......going the way of the dodo bird

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Every Windows release has a price you have to pay. It could be the actual price of the product, it could be data collection, it could be windows being not to my liking. At the same time, every Windows release comes with new stuff. Then you enter in the pros and cons area. Windows 10 has cons of course but also has pros. Windows 10 does a better job at using my system resources than did in the past with win 7. In terms of security it has improved a lot, the windows defender now actually does a good job and so does Windows 10 itself. It boots faster, it feels faster, it is faster. So? If it sounds that good? why should be upgrading a bad thing?.

People may say Microsoft played to aggressive in terms of upgrade deployment. Now Microsoft could just reserve the authority to protect it's clients from less secure software. That said, they could simple say they ain't forcing but just making it a faster process. Because they have no reason to hide their goal of upgrading as much computers as possible. That would make sense if Microsoft wants to be able to roll all new services that just works better with windows 10 technologies. It is not just Windows but there are plenty of other services and devices Microsoft wants to roll out, and in order to get the best out of them it will require the client to have a fully updated Windows 10 OS.
People may say Privacy is an issue with Windows 10. Isn't privacy an issue since ever? or we may believe, windows 7 and older versions never collected any bit outhere?.

Do I disable some default settings in windows 10 as a placebo? No as a placebo, but more like using a chance Microsoft offers, in the end it could be seen as numbers that Microsoft see. A lot of data says as days goes by more people are using custom privacy settings, so Microsoft puts an eye on it and then you have a new panel for Privacy settings more like "Google" style. None of these changes will ever happen if nobody even cares of changing default privacy settings. I know all my data could and will possibly be collected anyways but now again, isn't your ISP collectiong stuff, isn't any piece of software not collecting a single bit?. Privacy matters, but you can't blame it all on Microsoft. They had to stay competitive and all other major players do the same, how comes it they won't do it as well?. In the end it will not be what it collect or does not collect, but more what does Microsoft do with it. And Microsoft will always work to make clear they won't just sell it to a random china ip asking for it.

So in my opinion I disagree with the article in general, but somehow not completely.

D

Deleted member 178

@darko999 Very accurate , people just worry about privacy on Win10 , while MS did the same since ages secretly...people are mostly short-thinking...

"Point the moon to an idiot, he will look the tip of your finger"

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well this is kind of an old article but it seems to me it is just bashing Microsoft's aggressive Windows 10 update tactics.
Was it wrong of course but there were ways around it.

However just for fun lets pick it apart.
Disclaimer:Comments are made towards the author of the article and not anyone here

1. Lost Trust in Windows
"When a live broadcast is interrupted by a stubborn Windows 10 upgrade notification, it sends a clear message to thousands of witnesses and millions of people worldwide: Windows cannot be trusted."
Well maybe if you had jumped on the free upgrade you wouldn't have been interrupted.
Obviously the statement doesn't jive with the statement made under "In Microsoft we trust no more"
Can any consumer really trust any company anymore? Data breaches,careless handling of consumers information,poor security,etc.

2. Users Disable Windows Update
Well this is some good advice
There were ways around the upgrade nag.

3. Lost Time, Money, and Bandwidth
Most of the auto installs were sporadic and once again there were ways to eradicate it.

4. Many Home Users Will Abandon Windows
From date of this article,June 13,2016,until now that hardly seems to be the case.

5. Consumer Protection Looks Weak
Debatable at best and surely not just for Microsoft.

In Microsoft We Trust No More

"I was excited for Windows 10. With new leadership, I anticipated a new Microsoft, one that would listen to its users and act in their interest. It’s what they promised and Windows 10 did turn out to be a great operating system; for the most part"

"However, I am deeply disappointed to see how Microsoft continues to abuse its users"

Hmmmmmm...............

"Windows 10 did turn out to be a great operating system"

What was the point of 1,2,3 & 4

Nothing is perfect and yes Microsoft was wrong in they way they pushed Windows 10 but some fail to remember that they offered it for free.
I don't agree with the article at all.
I agree that Microsoft is not perfect and they could have done some things differently but in the end the consumer still had choices.
From June 13,2016 to now things have really changed and does anyone really trust anything anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.