Do you fully recommend Avira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Since last AV-COMPARATIVE review, where avira got 1st place on detection rate and 1st place on real time protection, i use it on my pc, and despite a little slow down, i'm happy with it.

But i can't stop thinking maybe it's not that good, due to many reviews i've seen confusing me (some of them show this AV as an awsome one, some others make it look crap)

You, Avira users, fully recommend it?

I'm looking for low system impact but great great detection and real time protection. (if not, what do you recommend with this aforementioned points?

Thanks in advance MalwareTips users! :p

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Avira is strong as a reactive protection, It has low or no proactive detection at all. I'd go with ESET rather than Avira, in my opinion; ESET has more to offer.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No need to hesitate, Avira is purely focuses on signatures/heuristics/ and their APC (Cloud) that should satisfy for a user wants very strong detection. FP rates vary where Independent organizations like AV-C makes a bit downfall for Avira.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Detection, signatures and heuristics - absolutely top-of-class.

Avira is a basic scanner on steroids; as a scanner it really is superb.

However:
  • Does not protect Windows firewall, UAC and browser settings.
  • Does not block malicious scripts unless detected by signature... really bad news.
  • Does not offer any additional system protections other than signature detection.
  • Relies upon Windows firewall - which can be disabled by certain malwares.
Avira is great at what it does... it is just that it does so little. Supplement it with firewall, light virtualization, HIPS, antiexecutable, etc and you can create one really strong security configuration.

Avira free + Comodo Firewall would be one interesting option.

Alternatively, I think Avira free + VooDooShield or NoVIrusThanks Exe Radar Pro would be great combo... very low system impact.

I am huge huge antiexecutable\default-deny fan so I recommend AEs to everyone. Other MT members probably think "There he goes selling AEs again." :D

Add EMET or MBAE and BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control ($10) and that will cover just about everything...

I honestly like Avira free and Pro a whole bunch, but it isn't enough protection all alone... and I can get the same or better protection with a complete suite from Emsisoft, Kaspersky, ESET or Comodo - which saves me the hassle of cobbling protection softs together.

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Detection, signatures and heuristics - absolutely top-of-class.

Avira is a basic scanner on steroids; as a scanner it really is superb.

However:
  • Does not protect Windows firewall, UAC and browser settings.
  • Does not block malicious scripts unless detected by signature... really bad news.
  • Does not offer any additional system protections other than signature detection.
  • Relies upon Windows firewall - which can be disabled by certain malwares.
Avira is great at what it does... it is just that it does so little. Supplement it with firewall, light virtualization, HIPS, antiexecutable, etc and you can create one really strong security configuration.

Avira free + Comodo Firewall would be one interesting option.

Alternatively, I think Avira free + VooDooShield or NoVIrusThanks Exe Radar Pro would be great combo... very low system impact.

I am huge huge antiexecutable\default-deny fan so I recommend AEs to everyone. Other MT members probably think "There he goes selling AEs again." :D

Add EMET or MBAE and BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control ($10) and that will cover just about everything...

I honestly like Avira free and Pro a whole bunch, but it isn't enough protection all alone... and I can get the same or better protection with a complete suite from Emsisoft, Kaspersky, ESET or Comodo - which saves me the hassle of cobbling protection softs together.

Wow you really nailed it here, and the best explanation of Aviras weak points and strengths.

Avira free is fairly light on system, which a private or comodo firewall should run nicely alongside it. Which would offer a great free protector of virus (Avira) /malware (CF)

but Avira leaves a POT HOLE uncovered if run alone at realtime, and all it takes is a wrong step to fall in. I saw my bros firewall disabled and broken from malware Avira missed or was tricked by. The malware also messed the wireless config... and caused it to freeze when repairing.

Malware can be real MEAN!

I said to my brother, you were surfing health websites and you made your computer sick. ;)

At the time I didn't know Avira alone wasn't enough.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Compared to ESET, I'll recommend AVira first. Not that I'm saying ESET is bad but it has a lower detection rate with locally created worms. My answer is based on my location and experience with home-brew malwares.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I suggest that you do go with it, also do not pay any attention to AV Reviews by major reviewers such as CNET, AV-Comparatives, etc because the scores they put up are based upon who pays the most.

Are we having this chit-chat again?

Back on topic, I'd like to see how Avira Free scores in the results, as most of the test reviews they give are only for the Pro version, compared to Avast, AVG, Panda and Qihoo.

L

LabZero

I can't deny that Avira antivirus free is one of the best free antivirus.In the important test is always at the top.
But the real-time control does not seem fast when downloading files from the Internet : Avira sometimes detects malware only when it is already downloaded to your computer.
What I don't like, but it's not just a problem of Avira is trying to expand the functions of antivirus by getting of things (the App Store, the payment system cleaner) that are not useful , that often have nothing to do with the main functions of the program.

Y

yigido

Avira is very goodas my friends explained it. Avira is lacking in terms of proactive protection.
You can use Comodo Firewall or anti-executables for cover this area. I did not see bad for Avira but proactive protection. It has very good signatures and very very good heuristic signatures. Fast cloud detections.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Avira Free is a very good AV program has a good detection rate and is light there is no problem with it.
I use it for some time and I'm pleased with it.:)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
If you are happy with Avira, keep it because you know how your own unique system performs, and what you require most from it. I think the added advice to use light virtualization & to incorporate Comodo Firewall sounds like the kind of solid advice that I may well follow myself,:) that is, once our ESET Smart Security trial runs out :eek:this week!:p:D

Rogue987

Level 3
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Are we having this chit-chat again?

Back on topic, I'd like to see how Avira Free scores in the results, as most of the test reviews they give are only for the Pro version, compared to Avast, AVG, Panda and Qihoo.

No, we are not having this chit-chat again, there is nothing to discuss cause it is the truth and nothing but the truth.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.