Advice Request Do you gain anything using an overseas server with a USA VPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
If I connect to an overseas server, but the the VPN is based in the USA do I gain any extra layer of privacy protection from prying eyes from TPTB in the USA?

Does it make it harder for them by having to go to that countries legal system to get the IP or do they just easily find out the VPN is from the USA and the VPN gives me up like a rat

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
so you just get slower speeds then.

would an overseas based provider be safer?

if I am using Tor, does it help to add the VPN first or just let the ISP know I am running Tor?

Reactions: Logethica

renestitt

Dec 12, 2015
We know how it feels when you’re trying to download torrents in US but are unable to do so because of restrict US laws. USA is a free country, and we believe that everyone here should have the freedom of choice to do what they love to do. So, opt for the best USA VPN service for all your torrenting activities, because you definitely don’t want any prying eyes to monitor what you do online.

Peter Kendrick

Level 1
Aug 13, 2016
Tor is based on nodes (network points) which can be blocked in the middle from governments and their focused is more towards Tor than VPN these days. Usually, if you are torrenting on USA VPN you wouldn't have any problems unless you are doing something really bad. Also, using USA VPN doesn't give you any additional benefits but inherent benefits which are available on all servers, you can say additional benefit when you get complete access to US content of Netflix ;)

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Some will give you up, some won't. Most have policies on P2P, those that do, generally exclude US servers for it.

I would always choose a company outside your jurisdiction, preferably one without legal ties or an opposed system (e.g. Russia, when you reside in the US and vice versa). Overseas is not overseas, the UK will serve your details on a platter for US services.

Also, the worse the crime, the more energy authorities will invest. Surely the US won't place sanctions on China because you downloaded some season of Game of Thrones. If you partake in more serious matters, it's a whole different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.