Do you shop from Amazon? Why and why not?

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
A friend of mine said this to me recently:

"I don't order anything from Amazon. It’s a company that is making millions ( billions) while small businesses are closing. I go to small bookstores if I can."

I don't think it's a logical decision. What do you think?
Thanks.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I've cut back over the past years. Several reasons for that... First, Amazon has become a flea market infested with disposable junk "brands" that will disappear once their inventories are sold off. Just choose at random six letters of the alphabet, and you have a "brand"... enough of GHOPEN, HEMPLA, KARIGR appliances and memory cards... Yikes!

Second, their product reviews, which were reliable a few years ago, are replete with faked entries to the point that little confidence can be drawn from them... O WOW... 4.4 stars!

Third, their shipping packaging is absurd... a token air pillow or two does nothing to secure electronic goods (and other delicate items) from transport abuse. Sure you can return damaged goods, but that cycle extends the overall time from order to goods receipt.

As Amazon can't offer trusted brands and a reliable review database, and secure packaging, I shop elsewhere, despite my Prime account. For electronics, NewEgg, B&H, and BestBuy are superior retailers IMO.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can boycott Amazon, but it won't stop the sales.

Also as retailers are forced to close* due to the pandemic, online sales have increased. If Amazon can offer a better deal, then what's stopping customers from switching.

Edit: Forgot to mention, some retailers have voucher codes that you can use for discounts. Easy to find online.

*Restrictions may differ per country.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I won't close my mind to Amazon if there's a good deal on, say: PC monitors. Their scalpers' pricing of graphics processors (not just the NVIDIA 3000 series either) turns me off of it otherwise.

Just checked, several partners' cards are offered starting at slightly below twice the manuf. suggested retail price or 943-075 USD for an rtx 3070. Partners' pricing is now about 50-80 USD above a Founders Edition msrp of 499.99 USD at ethical retailers like Micro Center.

Am I confusing you? Goood! 👹

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I won't close my mind to Amazon if there's a good deal on, say: PC monitors. Their scalpers' pricing of graphics processors (not just the NVIDIA 3000 series either) turns me off of it otherwise.

Just checked, several partners' cards are offered starting at slightly below twice the manuf. suggested retail price or 943-075 USD for an rtx 3070. Partners' pricing is now about 50-80 USD above a Founders Edition msrp of 499.99 USD at ethical retailers like Micro Center.

Am I confusing you? Goood! 👹
Here is a good deal now for you ;)
Samsung 980 PRO On Sale - TweakHound

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.