Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
HTML5 offers alternatives to media plugin. Some plugins survive their end of life support because companies have invested heavily in creating services which use these plugins (e.g. some television on demand services are still using Silverlight).

Years after Mac (copy of Linux) and Android (another copy of Linux) have dropped support for flash player, Google is now actively depreciating flash usage in Chrome browser. Flash will be phased out soon. What is your position/preference on using flash?

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
ALL Adobe products are a security nightmare ( my personal opinion .... just in case any Adobe lawyers are reading )

They should all be sent to that slum area of Hell , where the souls of evil dictators and torturers go .

PS - on reading what I just wrote , it's possible that I didn't express my opinions strongly enough :)

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

• Flash has a long-established, centralized reporting\mitigation routine that has be honed over many years.
  • HTML5 will turn out to be just as vulnerable as Flash; when Flash dries-up on the net, the malc0ders will descend upon HTML5 like vultures at the kill.
  • In the end, nothing will really change by replacing Flash with HTML5.
Who is gonna take responsibility for implementing, operating and maintaining an HTML5 vulnerability reporting\mitigation system, make advisories, announcements, etc ?

W3C ? WHATWG ? - I don't think so...

At least with Flash you got the security pushes from Adobe and close collaborators. With HTML5 maybe some will implement fixes - and a LOT of others won't.

HTML5 seems like a great idea, but you're screwed... that's what...

Adobe should change the next Flash version to HTML6... LOL. Industry will go bonkerz because all that matters is what's not really important.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I still use Pepper Flash player in Vivaldi, because I need it on some sites (news sites, but also for university). I know that it has a lot of leaks and security holes, but in my opinion it's also exaggerated to say that you are complete insecure if you use flash. The vulnerabilities are widely used by hackers, but as a home user, I think that if you are using good protection (AV, firewall, etc.) you should not worry about infections. Most people, and me too, just use it to watch some videos on sites that are not html5-ready yet, so imo that's not the main target of hackers. Adobe is still patching it regularly, so as long as you keep it up to date as quick as possible, there is not so much to worry about. I have 'click to play' enabled in Vivaldi, so I choose which content can use flash. You can perfectly keep control yourself. Same with other plugins like Silverlight and Java, but they are already not available in Chromium browsers since they stopped the compatibility with NPAPPI plugins, so I don't have them installed anymore.

H

hjlbx

@hjlbx really true, we have to jump from sw to sw .

But who cares, I live in a sandbox

If you compare the CVEs for Flash versus Windows - well... - we might as well do away with Windows too.

Everybody move to Linux.

12 - 18 months down the road and malc0ders are having a field-day - and BAM ! - the first billion dollar ripper wipes out the equivalent of the GDP of one of the Carribean island nations.

Security via obscurity is utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.