Do you think comodo internet security has become bloatware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I think the latest incarnation of comodo has become very unstable and buggy with lots of bloat.

What are your opinions on this?
Thanks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes it has a lot of bloatware and unnecessary features. It is really not Comodo's fault, they are trying these best to satisfy their fanboys on their forum. Most of the bloatware was requested by their forum members.

Most average users would never need CCE, Geek Buddy, Comodo Dragon, Comodo DNS and Virtual Kiosk, these features are basically for paranoid fanboys.

If the firewall, AV, sandbox and D+ are utilized correctly the system would be fully protected.

So don't blame Comodo, blame the fanboys for requesting all of this junk to be added. You can bet more junk will be added as well as they will continue to make requests.

Bugs, when has Comodo not had noticeable bugs? that is caused by the rush development to satisfy their fanboys as well.

Thanks. :D

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
@littlebits.
I agree with you to a certain extent although,geekbuddy,dragon etc are optional extras.
The thing that concerns me more is the whopping 200mb av database which is increasing daily.
I have ditched comodo in favor of ESET and my computer is a lot more stable now with no constant cpu spikes.

Comodo are on a road to ruin slowly.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Littlebits said:
Yes it has a lot of bloatware and unnecessary features. It is really not Comodo's fault, they are trying these best to satisfy their fanboys on their forum. Most of the bloatware was requested by their forum members.

Most average users would never need CCE, Geek Buddy, Comodo Dragon, Comodo DNS and Virtual Kiosk, these features are basically for paranoid fanboys. If the firewall, AV, sandbox and D+ are utilized correctly the system would be fully protected.
Perhaps what Comodo could do is take a page from Avast, and let users choose what features they want installed with the custom install option.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I think that the firewall alone is a pretty good fit. The HIPS and Sandbox are pretty good if tuned properly. I wouldn't use the AV part anyway. If you pair the firewall with a good AV your good to go. I do think that it has gotten a little bloated but you can always trim it down with the options. I don't install the DNS service or silverlight. I do like the virtual Comodo dragon though.

D

Deleted member 178

the best version of CIS was v5, secure and functionnal, no bloat, very light

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Polaris said:

I disagree the best version of Comodo was v.2.4.17.184.

7bWnEUV.png

Download

It had no bloat at all, no unnecessary features, extremely light and no bugs.
But I'm not sure it still supports newer Windows after XP.

Enjoy!! :D

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Dont think this would work on windows 7.

This was before comodo had a HIPS .

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Amiga500 said:
Dont think this would work on windows 7.

This was before comodo had a HIPS .

I just installed it on Win 7x64 in Sandboxie and it worked but couldn't load the drivers outside of the sandbox.

And yes this version had full HIPS features but they wasn't called D+ back then.

Application Monitor, Component Monitor, Network Monitor and Application Behavioral Analyzer are all HIPS components.

After D+ was created they just lumped all HIPS components together, I like it better when they were divided into categories.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Umbra Polaris said:

I said CIS not CFW , small but important difference ;)

btw, i started using comodo at v3.xx

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Polaris said:
Littlebits said:
Umbra Polaris said:

I said CIS not CFW , small but important difference ;)

btw, i started using comodo at v3.xx

You are probably much younger than myself. I used Comodo Firewall from its first release v.1.0 to v.2.4, when Sygate Firewall got bought out by Symantec and discontinued Comodo was the best option for a firewall.

If anyone else is as old as myself, they would agree that v.2.4 was the best software period released by Comodo. This was back when browsers were not as secure and spyware was the main problem. Drive-by malware use to automatically download and install without any user actions just by visiting an infected site and Comodo would nail each one when other security products will fail. Comodo used to be a necessary to keep you system safe because user actions would not always protect you back then.

Things sure have changed over the years, Drive-by downloads and spyware are like non-existent, browsers are much more secure require you to download files manually and Windows has UAC and other protection features like Windows Firewall not offered back then. Free AV's has improved better than many paid AV's, now user actions can keep you safe. Most malware now just tricks ignorant users into manually downloading infected files with fake alert sites. Back then malware could not be so easily avoided.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
yes version 1 to version 2 of Comodo was the good old days lol so i must be old also :)

then the word spread that it was a good firewall and a lot of new users came in to and took
over the forums and turned the forum and Comodo in to what it is today lol

you can get some of the old versions of it at Old Apps,com or Oldversion,com

:)

James

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I use CIS 6.3, it's a little bloated but not that bad! Yes they have added stuff like has been meantioned but most require you to click on it in order to get it... I do think it's been dumbed down a bit too much, so would like for them to get back to their routes, but overall am still happy in Comodo protecting me and serving my everyday needs. With regards to the comment of they are pleasing their 'fanboys', at least they listen to the users unlike some who force whatever they see fit on them.... Avast for example, although another good free alternative is just as guilty at bloatware lately! :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
I use CIS 6.3, it's a little bloated but not that bad! Yes they have added stuff like has been meantioned but most require you to click on it in order to get it... I do think it's been dumbed down a bit too much, so would like for them to get back to their routes, but overall am still happy in Comodo protecting me and serving my everyday needs. With regards to the comment of they are pleasing their 'fanboys', at least they listen to the users unlike some who force whatever they see fit on them.... Avast for example, although another good free alternative is just as guilty at bloatware lately! :)

I will have to agree with you, almost all security products have added bloatware recently. The main reason is signature detection is not enough to protect reckless users because security product keep adding other ways for protection. However careful users don't need these extra bloatware features, they can get by with only the basic signature protection along with UAC and their own knowledge. These bloatware features will still fail to protect reckless users against infections, cause false positives for trusted programs, other related problems and doesn't add anything necessary for careful users.

Most security products can be custom installed to remove features not needed and remove the unwanted bloatware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.