Advice Request Do you use any Clipboard Manager in Windows 10? If not, here are some solutions.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you use a Clipboard Manager on Windows 10?

• Yes and the name is:

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No because I do not need it.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No because I didn't know it existed.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As a regular Linux User, Clipboard manager is a feature that makes my life easy.

During the Windows 7 era, I was already using a Clipboard manager on windows as well.

Now some of you might not know but Windows 10 does have a Clipboard manager.

So, do you use a clipboard manager and if so which one?

Ill list some known freeware and lightweight ones + how to get Windows 10 native Clipboard Manager
Ditto - Sourceforge Link
ClipCube (for clipcube the page is no longer available but I am providng a snapshot from wayback machine - 30 jan 2020) - Link
CopyQ - Sourceforge Link
Clipboard Master - Link
CLCL - Link
JoeJoe's ArsClip - Link

How to enable Windows 10 native Clipboard Manager:

Go to Settings --> System --> scroll down on the left hand side to Clipboard and then on the right hand side enable Clipboard History (see screenshot)

2020-09-05 19_59_40-Settings.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
As a privacy freak I would actually use an anti-clipboard software. The last thing I want is for clipboard to remember my password or worse. 🤫
Imagine my horror, when MS introduced the new clipboard system that uploads to the cloud. I think I am gonna triple check, if it is still disabled.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As a privacy freak I would actually use an anti-clipboard software. The last thing I want is for clipboard to remember my password or worse. 🤫
Imagine my horror, when MS introduced the new clipboard system that uploads to the cloud. I think I am gonna triple check, if it is still disabled.
I cross checked and by default the option to sync is not checked, maybe because its local account.

You can always use one of the freeware above which don't call home.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I share your concerns. On Windows, I don't want the clipboard to remember data, because it often contains sensitive info. But I enjoy clipboard on linux!

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use it and it's a game changer. Extremely useful, it saved me many times. But I don't use the sync function and if I copy any sensitive info like passwords then I delete that from clipboard manually after using it. So no worries for me.
Same, this was the best feature of Oct 2018 update. I disable the sync as well.

I prefer to use "new text document.txt" on the desktop (ramdisk, not recoverable once removed), it might not be convenient, but it sure makes me feel better.
But you are still copying/pasting to/from the clipboard. How is that different in case let's say a malware is running? And if a malware/spyware is already running then you got bigger problems.
A system shutdown also clears the clipboard (unless you are using the sync I think).

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
But you are still copying/pasting to/from the clipboard.
I copy some gibberish afterwards, so it is similar to a timeout in password managers.
capture_09062020_003857.jpg

How is that different in case let's say a malware is running? And if a malware/spyware is already running then you got bigger problems.
I am not worried about malware on my system, but more about javascripts on webpages.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I copy some gibberish afterwards, so it is similar to a timeout in password managers.
View attachment 245963

I am not worried about malware on my system, but more about javascripts on webpages.
If I am reading that right the article is about a vulnerability which was present in IE6 which allowed the script on that webpage to read the contents of clipboard. AFAIK in modern web browsers you have to manually press the keys (or right click, select paste) in order to paste the data on a webpage.
From HowToGeek:
However, on a traditional desktop system, you’re probably accessing many services through your web browser. Web apps can’t automatically read your clipboard without your permission—you have to manually paste on the website to provide the contents of your clipboard to the website.
Now the question is when user press paste on a webpage using Win 10 Clipboard manager, then will the webpage get all the data or just the one you selected? I don't know the answer to this. Maybe someone more knowledgeable member can tell us.
Edit3: PS if something doesn't make sense then I apologize I am sleepy as hell. Gotta sleep now.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I am reading that right the article is about a vulnerability which was present in IE6 which allowed the script on that webpage to read the contents of clipboard. AFAIK in modern web browsers you have to manually press the keys (or right click, select paste) in order to paste the data on a webpage.
From HowToGeek:

Now the question is when user press paste on a webpage using Win 10 Clipboard manager, then will the webpage get all the data or just the one you selected? I don't know the answer to this. Maybe someone more knowledgeable member can tell us.
Edit3: PS if something doesn't make sense then I apologize I am sleepy as hell. Gotta sleep now.
If you didn't enable the new Windows 10 clipboard feature, then the clipboard saves only the last item. So I do as @TairikuOkami does -- if I copied a sensitive item, which I try to avoid when possible, I copy something meaningless afterwards, to delete it from the clipboard memory.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If logging into a Desktop app, I usually copy the password first, then the username, and finally a random text/link.

I can confirm that and certain AV vendors implements features that can be turned ON or OFF for cleaning the clipboard.
I think some cleaner apps also provide clearing the clipboard, but whether they actually work or not..?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you didn't enable the new Windows 10 clipboard feature, then the clipboard saves only the last item. So I do as @TairikuOkami does -- if I copied a sensitive item, which I try to avoid when possible, I copy something meaningless afterwards, to delete it from the clipboard memory.
You can still delete the sensitive item from new clipboard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.