Does accessing Gmail through an application help to improve privacy ?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

On my Windows PC, I currently access Gmail using a web browser (usually Firefox or Edge). This obviously involves signing into Google who then place cookies in my browser, record my IP address and follow me around the Internet from that point onwards.

I appreciate that Gmail is not a service that is provided with privacy in mind and that it will record various personal information however I access it. However, would there be some privacy advantages in using a third party email client to use Gmail within Windows? At least it would avoid having to sign in via my browser and identify myself to Google each time. I thought there may also be some security advantages in that I am not frequently typing a Gmail password into the browser ?

Would Outlook be a good choice as a Windows email client ?

I think Gmail is an excellent product in terms of its technical ability. The spam filter appears to be the best in class. Its also a service that is likely to be around for a long time, so the chances of Gmail being shut down are less than they might be with some other providers. But I am getting more concerned about Google's snooping- so if there any ways of taking advantage of Gmail's features whilst reducing the information I am giving to Google it would useful to know.

Thanks.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The same happens when you sign in to Google in any other application because they use Google API to sign-in. But I guess if you use "specific app password" feature then you'll get better privacy. Hope other members will answer more professionally.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
For Firefox, go to about:config, search "privacy.firstparty.isolate" and set it to true. Use this add-on Firefox Multi-Account Containers to contain logged in websites into a separate containers. Site data, cookies, etc would be separated so they won't be able to communicate with other tabs. For automatic cookie deleting you can use Cookie AutoDelete. Add sites into whitelists where you wanna be logged in always. If you're only looking to separate google websites from other sites then it would be easier if you use Google Container. Also if you're a facebook user then use Facebook Container. Personally along with multi account containers I also use Temporary Containers.
Conatiner is one of the feature of Firefox for which I might never switch to any other browser as my primary one.
Here's an example, I'm actually currently logged into 7 sites of this list but the test shows I'm logged into none.
logged in.PNG

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi-

On my Windows PC, I currently access Gmail using a web browser (usually Firefox or Edge). This obviously involves signing into Google who then place cookies in my browser, record my IP address and follow me around the Internet from that point onwards.

I appreciate that Gmail is not a service that is provided with privacy in mind and that it will record various personal information however I access it. However, would there be some privacy advantages in using a third party email client to use Gmail within Windows? At least it would avoid having to sign in via my browser and identify myself to Google each time. I thought there may also be some security advantages in that I am not frequently typing a Gmail password into the browser ?

Would Outlook be a good choice as a Windows email client ?

I think Gmail is an excellent product in terms of its technical ability. The spam filter appears to be the best in class. Its also a service that is likely to be around for a long time, so the chances of Gmail being shut down are less than they might be with some other providers. But I am getting more concerned about Google's snooping- so if there any ways of taking advantage of Gmail's features whilst reducing the information I am giving to Google it would useful to know.

Thanks.
In principle it is better, security-wise, to use web mail than it is to use an email client. This is because webmail saves you from opening attachments. Usually, you just view them on the web interface. This is more secure.
I don't understand why you need to enter your Gmail credentials every time. Doesn't your browser remember, and sign you automatically in when you go to Gmail?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
For Firefox, go to about:config, search "privacy.firstparty.isolate" and set it to true. Use this add-on Firefox Multi-Account Containers to contain logged in websites into a separate containers. Site data, cookies, etc would be separated so they won't be able to communicate with other tabs. For automatic cookie deleting you can use Cookie AutoDelete. Add sites into whitelists where you wanna be logged in always. If you're only looking to separate google websites from other sites then it would be easier if you use Google Container. Also if you're a facebook user then use Facebook Container. Personally along with multi account containers I also use Temporary Containers.
Conatiner is one of the feature of Firefox for which I might never switch to any other browser as my primary one.
Here's an example, I'm actually currently logged into 7 sites of this list but the test shows I'm logged into none.

Thanks- I tried to intall those container apps once but they didn't work in "private browsing mode" which I have turned on by default in Firefox.. ironically to help improve privacy.

Schmu26- Thats also why I have to log into Gmail every time I open the browser.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks- I tried to intall those container apps once but they didn't work in "private browsing mode" which I have turned on by default in Firefox.. ironically to help improve privacy.

Schmu26- Thats also why I have to log into Gmail every time I open the browser.
Yes those are not meant for private browsing. Private browsing itself is kind of a container. At least set privacy.firstparty.isolate to true if you haven't already.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It won't give you more privacy, cause Google uses multiple methods to identify you (even if you don't login in your account, they know it's you, if you're on the same computer and network).
Says it all really which is why I have attempted to de-google myself to the degree I can, using uBlock among other ways but of course these have limited success. Outlook IMO is slightly better but IF Google is the Devil himself, Outlook is one of his demons along with Alexica :) King Canute I think had more success

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.