Advice Request Does Any Of You Use Driver Updaters/Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I use DUMO, I have used others but some small incremental updates on mainboard drivers etc to me are more trouble than they are worth & have given no notable improvements - Nvidia graphics I keep up to date - Of course if i was having a specific issue I would investigate other drivers but I'm not.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Which driver updater are you referring to?
Edit: I guess you're talking about DUmo. DUmo and other software from KC Software, is now free of adware. In the past there was the option to download adware free versions.
I don't remember It was a couple of years ago.. Driver booster, driver downloader, driver finder or driver something. It downloaded drivers that didn't work and gave me a lot of pop ups and advertising.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Automatic driver finders will install malicious items on your system, or install the wrong driver. For this reason, I do not use it, I do not recommend using it.
They want your business so they're, for the most part, going to behave. I have no problems installing the major ones (DUMo, UCheck, DriverEasy, etc) for a look-see. Driver updaters had a bad rap in the past, but nowadays, you can use the better-known ones without cringing or diving for your on-demand scanner. Going online to search for drivers from their repositories may also provide them some user data. That's the "payment" for a free app.

It might come down to whether to allow the program to actually install your driver/s for you, especially if it's a paid version. It's more convenient that way but does have a modicum of risk. Many recommend a system image in that respect.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I only use the 'official' methods.
  • Manufacturer's tool: Lenovo System Update (Lenovo Vantage on newer machines)
  • Windows Updates: I don't install the optional driver updates unless I am having problems. I've only used it once to fix a Bluetooth issue I was experiencing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think these software are required for daily use, but are safe enough with diligence for the odd bi-yearly check up, on older machines.

That said, I have used IObit Driver Booster (free version) before to check for any out-dated driver. After updating, IObit was removed, as it was no longer required.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't think these software are required for daily use, but are safe enough with diligence for the odd bi-yearly check up, on older machines.

That said, I have used IObit Driver Booster (free version) before to check for any out-dated driver. After updating, IObit was removed, as it was no longer required.
I couldn't agree more.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Personally, I stick with what I get from the device manufacture for updates (after reading what is all up with the update - yes I'm a crazy dude that actually reads up on a update). Intel Support Assistant is a great tool that I have been using. However, I cannot stress that you want to stick with what the device manufacture is using for drivers. There are tons of reasons that they may not be jumping on the 'latest-and-greatest' updates.

Graphics drivers - I usually stick with updating from NVIDIA's website, but if I feel 'lazy' GeForce isn't too bad to use. Just gotta make sure you do a clean install and then check things out that all are good.

Driver updates from Windows Update... double edged sword at times. Sometimes good - sometimes in a rare case bad. Usually you can be a'ok with those updates, but if you git bit once or twice one wants to actually double check before 'blindly' installing.

Brian's big rule of thumb:
  1. Manufacture's website for updates - best option
  2. Intel Support Assistant - for things from Intel - good option
  3. Windows Update - eh' good, but gotta double check for that rare time where a old driver could drop or problems could happen (yes super rare)
  4. Do some good research - ALWAYS - before updating a driver. As some have said - if its not security or stability question things a little. See what is what.

Thoughts about my rules of thumb/best practices?

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.