Advice Request Does anyone here still use Sandboxie ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The problem is, though, Firefox Quantum just updated to 63.0 and the beta version 5.27.1 is now broken. I registered on the Sandboxie forum with this issue but it is awaiting review. This makes software #3 that has died on the vine with Windows 1809. Stable Sbie won't run on v.1809 at this time. So, using Internet Explorer in Sbie beta for now.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The problem is, though, Firefox Quantum just updated to 63.0 and the beta version 5.27.1 is now broken. I registered on the Sandboxie forum with this issue but it is awaiting review. This makes software #3 that has died on the vine with Windows 1809. Stable Sbie won't run on v.1809 at this time. So, using Internet Explorer in Sbie beta for now.
It's not possible to run an older version of Firefox? I would think that is better than switching to IE.
But you are hitting on the real point of the matter. Even the beta versions of Sandboxie can't really keep up with the software update race.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Update: (strangely), Sandboxie beta v. 5.27.1 IS working with Firefox 63 now on here. What happened was (I'll make it snappy), I was getting a lot of WHEA logger warnings lately, persisting even after re-installing Samsung driver for the NVM-e SSD. So, I put on the Samsung Magician and updated the firmware. OK, no WHEA so far. Launched Firefox again--in dark mode--and all is serene. Whew! This Windows v.1809 creature is kinda scary, right? The only thing that would have me reverting to an older software is a hardware malfunction. Otherwise, I'll make it work, by hook or by crook.

The way that Sandboxie is programmed, it cannot be updated until AFTER Microsoft makes a release. Contrary to claims otherwise, Microsoft does not inform 3rd-party publishers nor document everything it will change on its images. The vendors only figure it out after they have the final release in their hands.

So if anyone wants to use Sandboxie, you have two options:

1. Deal with the SBIE breakages every time Windows or a program is updated;
2. Use unpatched obsolete, legacy software that will work with SBIE (what Bo Elam does - running bunches of obsolete software to give top priority to SBIE)

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since i use Win 10 pro and not the windows "insider beta" channel sandboxie works 95% of the time great. So it's either pay 56€=about 60$ a year for rehips (to use all funtions) or use sandboxie with lifetime for free and switch browser for a few days. For me it sandboxie :D

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
1. Security softs are a terrible hobby. Get a different hobby. Get up and run, swim, climb, soar...
2. Except for professional gamers, people don't need to game. Gaming is another terrible human pastime.
3. Very few need to use MS Office. Only people that must use MS Office for their jobs need it.

:love:

Most people are better off with Chromebook.

Chromebook is not very exciting.
I very rarely game and still find gaming fun.
Yeah, Office shouldn't be used unless it's required (only accepts/collaborates with Office and nothing else so you can't use LibreOffice because of compatibility). Luckily, in the math and physics communities, Latex is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.