Advice Request Does Avast own Jumpshot?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Hiya

In the past, I've seen it mentioned that Avast allegedly owns a data intelligence company called Jumpshot; I took a look at the website and it doesn't make this fact known.

If anyone else has researched Jumpshot before and concluded that it is Avast-influenced/owned, could you post the research below for me to read? Would be interested in other people's findings. I have zero time to spend on researching Jumpshot right now, but I'd really like to get down to the bare-bone truth of how Avast is involved with Jumpshot.

Digital Intelligence | Jumpshot

Ciao

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Azure Phoenix Therefore Avast use Jumpshot but do not actually own Jumpshot, correct?
I don't think it's completely clear.

There are two Jumpshots. The one Avast acquired
AVAST Software Acquires Jumpshot to Work Magic Against Slow PC Performance
Was used to develop Grimefighter

And there's the other Jumpshot that serves as analytical platform.
Avast and Jumpshot

Considering the wording of the following
"We recently announced our investment in a marketing analytics platform called Jumpshot."

It does appear they are using the technology but don't actually own that one. Anyone is free to correct me.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Avast's primary business is data mining, telemetry and deep click analysis. The reason they can offer something not every other datamining firm can is because of the level of an AV product operating on a system. (Deep Clickstream Data) Which is basically a wireshark type setup on your system operating to benefit the bottom line of Avast analytical entities.

It's astounding how many people have Avast/AVG installed across the world that willing play into this. When Avast/AVG can collect anywhere from $400-$1000 a month from businesses for deep clickstream data, how much do you think they value petty AV sales?

Here's a fun fact.. Fortinet may or may not consider Avast as having questionable practices. :censored: But I can tell you, that Fortinet devices can and DO (at times) block Avast and there are very good reasons for this, especially on networks where you cannot have someone bringing in their little BYOD with Avast on it datamining.

Avast.Update

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
What I find troublesome is that even their paid products have everything opt-out, as opposed to opt-in.

You pay for product, and you still are a product... What gives? But these AVG unlimited deals @ebay are tempting...:unsure:

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
The way I see it... the more information you collect, the less secure the user really is. It doesn't matter who the entity obtaining and holding that information is. As long as that information is in any way "accessible" either internally or externally, the user is less-secure. The more data collection, the worse it becomes.

Every penny makes the pound. Every scrap of information about a user builds the profile.

With that being said, it is impossible to have complete anonymity when you're using online services. However, what is possible, is avoiding services with extremely bad practices who do not wish to treat you with respect (and this can be done in a non-paranoia way).

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
I've been using Avast for the last ohh over 10 years, so it is really data mining, and perhaps shouldn't use it, (Free Version) can't afford protection for all the systems if I had to pay for a program, Seems to protect really well, doesn't affect system performance, Seems my only other choice of Protection that I feel comfortable with would be Windows Defender built into Windows 10 Home and Pro, but heard it slows down computer systems more than Avast does

Thread author
Hiya

In the past, I've seen it mentioned that Avast allegedly owns a data intelligence company called Jumpshot; I took a look at the website and it doesn't make this fact known.

If anyone else has researched Jumpshot before and concluded that it is Avast-influenced/owned, could you post the research below for me to read? Would be interested in other people's findings. I have zero time to spend on researching Jumpshot right now, but I'd really like to get down to the bare-bone truth of how Avast is involved with Jumpshot.

Digital Intelligence | Jumpshot

Ciao

Jumpshot Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Avast Software B.V.

AVAST Software Acquires Jumpshot to Work Magic Against Slow PC Performance

;)

Company Overview

Jumpshot Inc. develops computer management and security software. It offers solutions for viruses, spyware, trialware, pop-ups, bloated toolbars, etc. The company was founded in 2010 and is based in Austin, Texas. As of September 24, 2013, Jumpshot Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Avast Software B.V.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.