Advice Request Does Comodo Firewall stop windows firewall service?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
A deeper setting question: my windows firewall service is STOPPED. I assume it had been RUNNING since I got a windows popup warning last week about enabling the service. I've tried several fixes to start the WF service and they've all failed. Meanwhile, for firewall protection, I have since installed CF 12.2.2.8012 with @cruelsister settings. I have used cruelcomodo successfully in the past. Does CF stop the WF service? (mine was stopped before I installed CF). This is a not a question about whether the WF should be on or off, but should the WF Service be stopped when running CF? Is win10 fully protected with WF Service stopped? If it's normal or acceptable for the WF Service to be stopped when running CF, than I can stop being concerned that my WF Service cannot be started, even when no other firewall or av with firewall is installed. If you are running CF, please advise. Thanks!!

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, it is normal for the Windows Firewall service to be stopped when Comodo Firewall is installed and running properly. Comodo Firewall is designed to replace the Windows Firewall and provide better protection for your system. As long as Comodo Firewall is configured correctly and up to date, your Windows 10 system should be fully protected even with the Windows Firewall service stopped.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it is normal for the Windows Firewall service to be stopped when Comodo Firewall is installed and running properly. Comodo Firewall is designed to replace the Windows Firewall and provide better protection for your system. As long as Comodo Firewall is configured correctly and up to date, your Windows 10 system should be fully protected even with the Windows Firewall service stopped.
Thanks I appreciate your reply. I asked the same question to bing chatAI and it could not find an answer; however, I would like a forum member who is running CF to confirm their WF Service is STOPPED (not whether the WF is merely OFF. I think the other day @cruelsister said you could continue to run the WF with CF without issues (if I recalling correctly) Thanks.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks I appreciate your reply. I asked the same question to bing chatAI and it could not find an answer; however, I would like a forum member who is running CF to confirm their WF Service is STOPPED (not whether the WF is merely OFF. I think the other day @cruelsister said you could continue to run the WF with CF without issues (if I recalling correctly) Thanks.
I apologize for the confusion earlier. To answer your question, when Comodo Firewall is installed and running properly, it replaces the Windows Firewall functions entirely. Therefore, the Windows Firewall Service should be stopped when Comodo Firewall is running. It is not necessary to have both firewalls running simultaneously.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Should I replace MS Defender with another av when running CF. I tried Kaspersky Free but it refused to install on my win10 (hardware host) even after I bypassed the request to uinstall CF. I also tried Bitdefender Free too and it wanted to uninstall CF first.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, CF with or without CS settings, never will stop Windows Firewall.
If your Windows Firewall stopped... it's not because CF.

That said, the question if CF can or should replace Windows Firewall, it's a different question, it has nothing to do with Windows Firewall enabled or disabled.
Again, the only way Windows Firewall can be enabled or disabled, it's only if you manually do that (or a virus/malware/bug does that).

Now, changing subject, if you want to replace Windows Firewall with CF, just remember that CF is an abandonware, it's full of bugs, no updates nor upgrades in the last (almost) 3 years.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Nope, CF with or without CS settings, never will stop Windows Firewall.
If your Windows Firewall stopped... it's not because CF.

That said, the question if CF can or should replace Windows Firewall, it's a different question, it has nothing to do with Windows Defender enabled or disabled.
Again, the only way Windows Defender can be enabled or disabled, it's only if you manually do that (or a virus/malware/bug does that).

Now, changing subject, if you want to replace Windows Defender with CF, just remember that CF is an abandonware, it's full of bugs, no updates nor upgrades in the last (almost) 3 years.
Right I think we are on the same page. My WF Service stopped before I installed CF. Cause is pure speculation. You answered the question that CF does not stop the WF Service, and I read (or implied) that CF runs totally independent of WF & WF Service. And yes I read all the comments a few weeks ago about CF being ag'ed 2+ years... I needed to install something to "plug the hole" caused by my win10 WF Service being stopped, and will not start. Caveats aside then, CF is plugging that hole at least until if & when I restore win10. Open to suggestions to plug the stopped WF Service with something else... :unsure:

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Right I think we are on the same page. My WF Service stopped before I installed CF. Cause is pure speculation. You answered the question that CF does not stop the WF Service, and I read (or implied) that CF runs totally independent of WF & WF Service. And yes I read all the comments a few weeks ago about CF being ag'ed 2+ years... I needed to install something to "plug the hole" caused by my win10 WF Service being stopped, and will not start. Caveats aside then, CF is plugging that hole at least until if & when I restore win10. Open to suggestions to plug the stopped WF Service with something else... :unsure:

I understand your case. IMHO:

1. If your Windows Firewall stopped for unknown causes... CAUTION!, it might be a virus, malware or similar. So, "covering that hole" with another firewall, it's not really a solution. I suggest you first to use 2 or 3 independent virus scanners (don't install software, just use the virus scanner freeware software). Be sure that your device is clean.

2. Then, and only then, try to fix the Windows Firewall (sfc /scannow, DISM, Windows Refresh, whatever, you have lot of tools that can repair your Windows Firewall).

3. In the meanwhile, if you want some firewall protection, you have lot of great updated/upgraded firewall freeware. I recommend you only to use upgraded/updated software.

4. If you love Comodo, no problem, recently they promised a new updated software (that might be launched in the next months). So, be patient, wait a little, and in few months install the updated Comodo Firewall.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I understand your case. IMHO:

1. If your Windows Firewall stopped for unknown causes... CAUTION!, it might be a virus, malware or similar. So, "covering that hole" with another firewall, it's not really a solution. I suggest you first to use 2 or 3 independent virus scanners (don't install software, just use the virus scanner freeware software). Be sure that your device is clean.

2. Then, and only then, try to fix the Windows Firewall (sfc /scannow, DISM, Windows Refresh, whatever, you have lot of tools that can repair your Windows Firewall).

3. In the meanwhile, if you want some firewall protection, you have lot of great updated/upgraded firewall freeware. I recommend you only to use upgraded/updated software.

4. If you love Comodo, no problem, recently they promised a new updated software (that might be launched in the next months). So, be patient, wait a little, and in few months install the updated Comodo Firewall.
sure re 1) had same concern, kvrt NPE report clean, 2) cmd sfc, netsh, windows firewall diagnostic tool... all failed to start WF Service error code 0x6d9 before I installed CF. I do not "love" CF, but liked it in the past, and since I'm on win10, not sure CF 2 yr old issue is problem here. & CS says it's working. I do see this situation as somewhat temporary. I see new hardware foreseeable future... Appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: Trident and Decopi

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
sure re 1) had same concern, kvrt NPE report clean, 2) cmd sfc, netsh, windows firewall diagnostic tool... all failed to start WF Service error code 0x6d9 before I installed CF. I do not "love" CF, but liked it in the past, and since I'm on win10, not sure CF 2 yr old issue is problem here. & CS says it's working. I do see this situation as somewhat temporary. I see new hardware foreseeable future... Appreciate your feedback.

Did you try a System Restore point? If you have one, before Windows Firewall stopped, then it'll be worth trying it. Or if you have an Image, also it might work.

Did you google "windows firewall 0x6d9 error"? You'll see lot of possible solutions:

It seems that sometimes the 0x6d9 error appears because other services (needed for Windows Firewall) are stopped (for example "Base Filtering Engine" etc). Please, restore Windows services default status.

In other cases, it seems that resetting permissions for Microsoft Protection might solve the issue:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ SharedAccess \ Epoch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ SharedAccess \ Defaults \ FirewallPolicy
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ SharedAccess \ Parameters \ FirewallPolicy
At every key, right-click (Default), choose Modify and input the value data: NT SERVICE \ mpssvc.

In other cases, it seems that resetting Windows Firewall default settings might fix the 0x6d9 error:
netsh advfirewall reset
net start mpsdrv
net start mpssvc
net start bfe
regsvr32 firewallapi.dll

Please, google the subject (0x6d9 error), and you'll find more possible solutions.

If nothing works for you, then you might try "Windows Refresh" (it'll reinstall your Windows, your apps are going to be removed, but your personal stuff will be kept).

Another solution is to make an Image of your current Windows 10, upgrade to Windows 11, almost sure this will solve your Windows Firewall problem... and then downgrade to Windows 10.

In short, it seems you have lot of alternatives. Good luck!

PS: With regards to current CF, sorry, all I can say is the same: You should never use a security software that is not updated/upgraded. It has nothing to do with your Windows 10 or Windows XP, 98, whatever. It's a matter of principle, there is no rational reason for using abandonware (and out-there you have lot of free firewall updated/upgraded). Also, you should not use abandonware just because one or million anonymous persons say that's "OK". You always must preserve your criticism. In real world, security software reputation is not built on "social media or anonymous characters/avatars in the web", you should trust only objective tests done by well known third-parties, or well known (not anonymous) experts.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Comodo Firewall is designed to replace the Windows Firewall and provide better protection for your system
I am not convinced. Better how? The purpose of firewall is to make the system less visible and to drop connections which are not needed, not desirable. In this relation Windows Firewall does the job. It is more vulnerable to manipulation, but then again, I doubt a product not updated for 2 years has a great self-protection driver.
Additional functions such as blocking connections to malicious hosts are not included in neither one of them.

As to the stopped service, standard procedures @Decopi already mentioned should be followed to restore the system to a healthy state.
The Comodo update promise should not be a cause for over-excitement. Let’s see what this update will bring first. I hope it’s not another “bag” full of disappointment.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @Trident!

The bot gave terrible wrong answers related to Windows Firewall and Comodo.

And with regards to the promised next Comodo upgrade, don't want to be pessimist, hope to be wrong, but my guess is that they only are going to repaint the external face of the same old bugged software, just a cosmetical rebrand, and that will give them an excuse to say "hey, this is a new, full updated, full upgraded, free of bug" version. I don't trust them.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Did you try a System Restore point? If you have one, before Windows Firewall stopped, then it'll be worth trying it. Or if you have an Image, also it might work.

Did you google "windows firewall 0x6d9 error"? You'll see lot of possible solutions:
Thanks, tried all the solutions you mentioned except for going into the registry. So far WF Service is still stopped. The required dependencies appear ok. I ended up uninstalling CF again -- found an up to date solution that does not use WF Service.

As to the stopped service, standard procedures @Decopi already mentioned should be followed to restore the system to a healthy state.
None of the "standard procedures" started the WF Service. :censored: More of a puzzle than a concern for the moment. I should have a restore point or image...

Have you tried Windows Firewall Control, by Binisoft? Maybe it can re-enable your Windows Firewall.
I thought of that, but haven't tried it yet. Good suggestion.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi! Just saw your issue and it should be resolved with barely an inconvenience. But first off, although some AV products will screw with various Windows Security thingies (like Avira and Trend Micro), Comodo is not among them, especially with regard to WF. Although WF is pretty useless it doesn't really harm anything if enabled, but can occasionally (on Tuesdays during the Dark of the Moon) cause issues if stopped, so it's Best Practice to leave it enabled.

But as the above has absolutely nothing to do with the problem you face, try this instead-

1). Open Regedit
2). go to HKLM--- CURRENTCONTROL SET--- SERVICES--- mpssv-- Start

In all probability in your system it should have a value of "4" (or at least not "2").
Please change that value to "2" and reboot.

Everything should now be Honky-Dory, but please check that WF is on AND that the Windows Defender Firewall Service is also now Enabled.

If it doesn't work be kind to me as I'm sensitive, but as the Bot isn't, feel free to mock it instead.

m

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hi! Just saw your issue and it should be resolved with barely an inconvenience. But first off, although some AV products will screw with various Windows Security thingies (like Avira and Trend Micro), Comodo is not among them, especially with regard to WF. Although WF is pretty useless it doesn't really harm anything if enabled, but can occasionally (on Tuesdays during the Dark of the Moon) cause issues if stopped, so it's Best Practice to leave it enabled.

But as the above has absolutely nothing to do with the problem you face, try this instead-

1). Open Regedit
2). go to HKLM--- CURRENTCONTROL SET--- SERVICES--- mpssv-- Start

In all probability in your system it should have a value of "4" (or at least not "2").
Please change that value to "2" and reboot.

Everything should now be Honky-Dory, but please check that WF is on AND that the Windows Defender Firewall Service is also now Enabled.

If it doesn't work be kind to me as I'm sensitive, but as the Bot isn't, feel free to mock it instead.

m
I follow everything you said above. THANKS. If the registry hack doesn't work, will not hold it against you. (fwiw I think I tried this or something similiar with netsh cmd but I've been thinking I need to go to registry, but only with more info which now I have). will update.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I follow everything you said above. THANKS. If the registry hack doesn't work, will not hold it against you. (fwiw I think I tried this or something similiar with netsh cmd but I've been thinking I need to go to registry, but only with more info which now I have). will update.
The netsh and most other registry hacks are specific for the Firewall itself (showing how easy it is to turn off WF). That which I posted takes care of the Service also.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The netsh and most other registry hacks are specific for the Firewall itself (showing how easy it is to turn off WF). That which I posted takes care of the Service also.
,,,or not :p (that's extent of a mock ;)) went to HKLM_SYSTEM_CurrentControlSet_Services_mpssvc- Start and its Value data = 2
I went ahead and rebooted... No change WF Service, ie did not expect since already 2.
If I was not clear(er) before, ESET Smart Security Premium is again re-installed, so possible that it is the current block, but then after what appeared to be a previous clean uninstall of ESET, the WF Service would not start. I suspect some issue between ESET and WF... waiting for reply from ESET.
All dependencies for WF Service are running (automatic), although not seeing info or status re Windows Defender Firewall Authorization Driver.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.