Advice Request Does Hola VPN extension on Google Chrome connects P2P Network?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Hello everyone. Thank you for your access.
I am a user of the latest version Firefox and Vivaldi Browser.

I have a question about "Hola VPN" extension on Google Chrome.

Today, I installed the Vivaldi Browser and some extensions to my desktop PC.
I am using Firefox, and I like it very much. But I wanted to try a new Browser, so I choosed Vivaldi.

I also want to introduce a VPN extension to Vivaldi. I searched it on the Google Chrome Official Store.
Then I find the Hola VPN Extension. It seemed that the "Hola" is very useful extension. I installed it to my Vivaldi.

But I am worrying that is the Hola VPN extension connects P2P networks.

In Japan, a famous magazine-blog told that Hola VPN is using P2P networks for manage the service, and Hola Client Soft is connects this P2P networks.
The article also says that if you installed and use Hola VPN Software, your bandwidth will be used by other user of Hola VPN, and it may lead to accidents.

So I want to ask everyone about Hola VPN Extensions.

Question 1:
Is the Hola VPN extension on Google Chrome connects P2P Networks?

Question 2:
Does installing Chrome extension of Hola VPN lead to using my network bandwidth by other Hola VPN users?

Question 3:
Is the news article right?

Question 4:
Did you know some Free VPN extensions for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?
I want to choose Tokyo as VPN Access Server location.
Are there extensions which the user is able to choose Tokyo as access location?

...I wrote many questions, and my sentences may be poor as English. Excuse me.
Thank you for your reading!

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Excuse me. Please let me add more information.
At Hola VPN extension's page on Official Google Chrome Store, there is a sentence that

This is NOT a peer to peer application. For the full peer to peer VPN - download the windows application...

Do you think this sentence is right?

Thank you.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
On top of the ads, hola also uses your network to unblock other users, which means that some one could be doing something illegal and be using your network while doing it. Uninstall it and use something like zenmate or download the opera browser that recently added a free VPN extension straight to the browser

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Hola extension does not appear to be using your bandwidth for other users due to the inherent limitations of chrome extensions. As you have mentioned, the FAQ states this as well.

However, whether or not the chrome extension connects to the p2p network or use your bandwidth, I would not use their network as a secure VPN provider. More of because of their past records, and I have no idea on how they are making money out of extension users.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I agree with all of the negative comments above , and then some .

Ditch it right now , it is poisonous.

There is an entire website devoted to just how toxic it is , right here
http://adios-hola.org/

If you want a decent browser with a free VPN extension then have a look at Vivaldi.

Their VPN is provided by Tunnello , which is still free AFAIK.
( And all credit to Tunnello , they make it clear that it may become a paid service in the future ).

As always , it is the responsibility of individual users to decide how secure , private or leaky their VPN service is .

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Dear all

Thank you for your reply. I had read your comments.
Your comments gave me some information about danger of using Hola VPN extensions.

I uninstalled Hola VPN Extension from my Vivaldi Browser, and clean-installed Vivaldi again.

At first, I could not choose new VPN extensions instead of Hola VPN.
I thought that Zenmate VPN or Tunnello VPN are good as Browser VPN extension for me, but I choosed The Tunnello VPN extension.
I accessed Zenmate-extension's page at Google Chrome Store, and I find many comments rated negative points. I don't know that if these comments as negative reviews are true or not. But I became worry the risk of it.
So I choosed Tunnello VPN extension and installed to my Vivaldi. Now, it is no trouble related to accessing Internet.

By the way, I am having new questions. May I ask you my questions?

Question 1:
Are Tunnello and Zenmate VPN using P2P networks? I can't find sentences showing that wether the extensions are using P2P networks or not at Official websites. And, am I able to think that my bandwidth was not used other users from Hola VPN P2P networks, after all?

Question 2:
Why Zenmate VPN extensions is retad negative points by many Chrome users? Why do you think about it?

Question 3:

How should I do for block P2P connections on my PC.
I am using only Skype as P2P connecting software, and I want to block P2P connections by other software (For example, browser extensions, and more) for keeping security.

I am using this PC...
・Windows 10 Home 64 bit
・Bitdefender Total security 2016 as main antimalware software
・Now I am using some browsers, Mozlla Firefox, Firefox Portable, and Vivaldi, for using internet.
・My PC is connecting to LAN as "Plublic Network" (Setting at Windows Control Panel) .

I am glad to your reading and replying! Thank you very much.

みなさん、ありがとうございます:)

0136d0n

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2016
Question 1:
Is the Hola VPN extension on Google Chrome connects P2P Networks?
Question 2:
Does installing Chrome extension of Hola VPN lead to using my network bandwidth by other Hola VPN users?
In short: yes if you don't paid.
screenshot.6.png

My alternative: Just Proxy. Their free servers are fast & stable enough for me.

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Dear 0136d0n. Thank you for your quik reply!

I have just read your advice.
I can't judge "Hola Free VPN Extension for Google Chrome" connects P2P Networks and leads to using my bandwidth by other Hola users.
Because explanations about connecting P2P Network are different on Official FAQ Page or famous web magazine and IT news sites.

At official FAQ, Hola explains that...

Chrome browser extension and Opera browser add-on operate as a standard VPN service, and are not part of the Hola peer-to-peer network...

Is this sentence right? Should I trust this sentence?

By the way, I read your telling about new Chrome VPN extension "
Just Proxy VPN" . Your advice may helps me for choose VPN extension of my Vivaldi Browser.
Thank you!

0136d0n

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2016
I really doubt that FAQ while they only provide their desktop version in form of chromium browser + their pre-installed extension. There is no clear explanation about what is the difference between their "Chrome browser extension and Opera browser add-on" and this one.

That being said there is a lack of provided information and it is impossible for me to answer your query whether the sentence was right or not. Anw obviously I always avoid those kind of apps that fail to provide users all the necessary information.

P/s: if I was shallow thinking, pls correct me :)

Last edited:

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Dear 0136d0n, Hello.
Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry that my reply is too late.

I read your answer. Your answer gave me a knowledge about Hola VPN Extension.

I have stopped to use Hola VPN and I am using other VPN on my browser referred answers from everyone.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.