Advice Request Does installing .Net 5.0 increase your security risk?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I recently installed a program that asked me to install .Net 5.0 in order for it to function.

My question is, will installing .NET 5.0 open my PC up to more security risks vs not installing it at all?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
No, its not about security. lets say when you buy a new computer that you cant play some top games so you needed to get a GPU to play it like this....

byronbytes

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
No, .NET does not open up any new security risks for your computer. .NET is an application framework that Microsoft has developed for applications that for example, are created in Visual Studio using WinForms. To run those types of apps you would need to install .NET.

As far as I know, .NET itself won't cause any security issues, and it's mostly up to the developers to keep their apps safe and not have any weird code or poorly protected code. Something to keep in mind is that .NET applications are extremely easy to deobfuscate and view the source code using an application called dnSpy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.