Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The next feature update for Windows 10 is coming soon. Many Windows 10 administrators and users may be interested in the update, especially what it is going to change, introduce or remove from the Windows 10 operating system.

Microsoft revealed some time ago that Windows 10 version 21H1 will be a smaller update. In fact, it will be identical to Windows 10 version 20H2 in terms of installation complexity and the time it takes to install the update. In short: it is smaller in size, won't take as long to install, and does not require as many reboots as major feature updates, such as Windows 10 version 21H2, expected in the second half of 2021.

The faster update experience is reserved to devices running Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2 only. Devices that are upgraded from earlier versions of Windows need to be run through the full feature update installation process.

While that is great when it comes to the installation of the update, it does mean that it won't include many new features or major changes.

Microsoft describes the upcoming feature update in the following way:
Based on feedback and learnings during the past year of extensive remote work, learning and play, version 21H1 will be delivered with servicing technology (like that used for the monthly update process and how 20H2 was delivered). Windows 10, version 21H1 will have a scoped set of features improving security, remote access and quality.
The features we are releasing in this update are focused on the core experiences that customers have told us they’re relying on most right now. So, we optimized this release to support our customers’ most pressing needs.
Microsoft lists only three feature additions of Windows 10 version 21H1:
  • Multicamera support in Windows Hello, so that users may set the external camera as the default when external and internal cameras are connected to the Windows 10 device.
  • Windows Defender Application Guard performance improvements.
  • Robocopy performance improvement for copy operations that exceed 400 Megabytes in size.
  • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service updating performance improvement.
Users can also expect that the legacy version of Microsoft Edge is not included anymore for new installs, and that the new Microsoft Edge will take up its place instead. Microsoft retired the legacy browser back in March 2021.

It is quite possible that other features may be introduced as part of the Windows Feature Experience Pack that Microsoft is working on. We will update this article if Microsoft confirms new feature additions.

Judging by Microsoft's highlights, Windows 10 version 21H1 will have less of an appeal to home users, as it is bug fixes and corrections mostly that home users can expect from the release.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm pretty glad for once it's a smallish update, spend all yesterday reinstalling this PC & still at the stage where I don't want the install harmed in any way - One change for me is not using O&O Shut up as finally decided it's a waste of space & unnecessary not that has anything to do with the next update :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
How much space does it take on your system? On my it's only 1,3 MB for executable and 12 kB for config file. Is there any other data that it stores on system and I missed it?
I've just come to the conclusion I'm better off without it, most setting can be done in Windows settings & I know they wont break things in an install that took me all day to do, no registry cleaner of any kind is coming near it either. I feel problems with Windows Update as an for example are often self inflicted :cool::cool:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I've just come to the conclusion I'm better off without it, most setting can be done in Windows settings & I know they wont break things in an install that took me all day to do
The problem is, that they are all over the place, this might help you with that.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I've just come to the conclusion I'm better off without it, most setting can be done in Windows settings & I know they wont break things in an install that took me all day to do, no registry cleaner of any kind is coming near it either. I feel problems with Windows Update as an for example are often self inflicted :cool::cool:
Yes, I understand that. I just thought that there might be some data stored on my system I didn't know about. (y)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I'm pretty glad for once it's a smallish update, spend all yesterday reinstalling this PC & still at the stage where I don't want the install harmed in any way - One change for me is not using O&O Shut up as finally decided it's a waste of space & unnecessary not that has anything to do with the next update :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm inclined to go along with your conclusion, I'm reluctant to let MS do whatever it wants with my data though. I was inclined to use WPD instead, until I saw the suggestion of ControlUWP by TairikuOkami

Is it going to brick a lot of pc on the 1st week launch?
Its not going to brick any of my devices, I'm not letting any new W10 feature update near them until most of the bugs have been sorted, after the nightmares I had with 20H2!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft announces Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1):
The Windows 10 May 2021 Update has been finalized and Build 19043.928 is likely to be the release candidate. Unsurprisingly, May 2021 Update will begin rolling out to millions of users around the world in May, and it will ship with a few minor improvements, mostly for enterprise customers.

Microsoft has officially named the version 21H1 update as “May 2021 Update” and published the final bits in the Release Preview Channel.

Windows 10 May 2021 Update, otherwise known as version 21H1, is based on Windows 10 version 20H2 and version 2004. In other words, this isn’t a huge upgrade and it doesn’t come with long-rumoured rounded corners, floating taskbar and other design improvements.

While Windows 10 version 21H1 isn’t the most anticipated update, it does come with improvements for enterprise customers.
To be clear, the next feature update is still in the final stage of testing and anyone can download it by joining the Release Preview Channel.

Although it has been finalized, it’ll still receive one or two cumulative updates with security and non-security fixes before rolling out to customers in the production channel.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.