Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
hello everybody,
i need your help for something
i want to fresh install my Windows 10 Pro N however the iso was download was a very old buitl (1703) as i remember was download from Dream spark software center with my college .edu mail with serial provided
however i want to download the ISO which contain latest update (1909) embedded into it to avoid tedious effort in updating the windows and passing through lot of major feature and cumulative update (which may be time consuming and may be broken due to internet connection loss)
my Question here is "Does windows 10 media creation tool create ISO which contains N version included during installation process so i can choose latest updated build (1909 until now) for fresh install ?:
if Not then is there any way to download latest genuine iso from Microsoft ( i had download the original ISO from 3rd part software website before (the old build) and verified the hash using ISO hash verifier) however i want to avoid that in this time to guarantee that is free from malware or backdoor ( i want to take a backup from clean fresh installed image to be Full backup image and start for new differential backups with latest Windows 10 build until now (1909))
Thanks in advance

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You can download it from Microsoft with Windows ISO Downloader.
If you want, you can copy the download link and download it using your browser or a download manager, instead of downloading it from within the program itself.

Windows N.png

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You can download it from Microsoft with Windows ISO Downloader.
If you want, you can copy the download link and download it using your browser or a download manager, instead of downloading it from within the program itself.

View attachment 232496
Thank you I will try it
But I cannot see windows 10 Pro N (I don't want windows player pack but the windows iso itself ( is pro contain N version as the serial key won't activate pro I tried before doesn't work
Edit: is this tool digitally signed by Microsoft ??

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You might have to download an old version of Windows N and the update to the current build with Windows Update.
That the problem I mentioned I try to avoid in the post XD 😂😅

I will download the latest one and try to I insert in the virtual machine and install it to see it has this option or not 🤔🤔

Reactions: upnorth and Outpost

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That the problem I mentioned I try to avoid in the post XD 😂😅
I have downloaded many different Windows ISOs over the years and have never found one that is infected, even though many of these were custom ISOs.
If you are download what is claimed to an original ISO file, then I believe it is highly unlikely it would contain malware.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I have downloaded many different Windows ISOs over the years and have never found one that is infected, even though many of these were custom ISOs.
If you are download what is claimed to an original ISO file, then I believe it is highly unlikely it would contain malware.
Is ISO hash verifier is enough !?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you get an ISO from an untrusted source, it could possibly have a backdoor. You will not be able to detect it unless you are an expert. Your AV will not find it, because it is not malicious code installed and/or running on your system, it is a feature of the OS.
Verifying the hash is not a guarantee of authenticity unless you get the hash value from a different source. If you get the hash value from the same source as the ISO download, then the same hacker who planted a tainted download can easily post a hash to match it.
That said, I download from here without a worry:

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
If you get an ISO from an untrusted source, it could possibly have a backdoor. You will not be able to detect it unless you are an expert. Your AV will not find it, because it is not malicious code installed and/or running on your system, it is a feature of the OS.
Verifying the hash is not a guarantee of authenticity unless you get the hash value from a different source. If you get the hash value from the same source as the ISO download, then the same hacker who planted a tainted download can easily post a hash to match it.
Insider builds on that site are fetched from uupdump as well.

Reactions: DDE_Server

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
@shmu26
That what I think exactly and make me paranoid 😅😅
No the hash is being verified against iso hash verifier I think it compare it to microsoft hash for genuine isos

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No the hash is being verified against iso hash verifier I think it compare it to microsoft hash for genuine isos
A few years ago, the Linux Mint download site was hacked, and tainted ISOs were being offered. The hackers, who gained control of the site, posted there a hash that matched the tainted ISOs, so even if you checked, it would not help.
To be fair, Linux ISOs use GPG to verify authenticity, and hash is just supposed to tell you that the download is complete and uncorrupted. But not everyone checks GPG.
To the best of my knowledge, hash checking is only as good as the value you are checking it against.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
A few years ago, the Linux Mint download site was hacked, and tainted ISOs were being offered. The hackers, who gained control of the site, posted there a hash that matched the tainted ISOs, so even if you checked, it would not help.
To be fair, Linux ISOs use GPG to verify authenticity, and hash is just supposed to tell you that the download is complete and uncorrupted. But not everyone checks GPG.
To the best of my knowledge, hash checking is only as good as the value you are checking it against.
Does windows uses something like GPG keys for verification ??

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does windows uses something like GPG keys for verification ??
There are some github downloads that provide verification keys. But generally, Windows relies on digital signatures, which you don't have on ISOs. So ISO downloads are kinda vulnerable in that way. A Windows user is supposed to use the official Microsoft Windows downloader tool, and is not meant to ever meet an ISO.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.