Download Ninja (new Internet download manager)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THD

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2014
I've try DN for 1 week, and I found 2 things:
- When DN captures a download, the browser's download popup still appears (in IDM, it's disabled) while DN's is minimized suddenly when clicking on. (So I have to manually close the browser's popup, click on DN's again).
- 1 bug: After a week, DN's icon on tray bar automatically disappeared when I move mouse to, it's process neither. :(
I would try DN again later ^^

Last edited:

MikeD

Level 4
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
For me DM crash when i try to lauch it.
After (<1 week) I had no problems :/

I suspect this is due to a bug I found this week when setting the Hide main Window at startup option. Basically if this option is set the program crashes :mad:

I've fixed it in an interim build available here:
http://update.downloadninja.com/download-ninja-1.0.2.7.2.exe

The new release available later this week will resolve this problem and a few others but if you can't wait try the installer above.

MikeD

Level 4
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I've try DN for 1 week, and I found 2 things:
- When DN captures a download, the browser's download popup still appears (in IDM, it's disabled) while DN's is minimized suddenly when clicking on. (So I have to manually close the browser's popup, click on DN's again).

What browser are you seeing this on? Are you seeing this on all downloads or only on downloads that would have opened the link in a new window anyway?

- 1 bug: After a week, DN's icon on tray bar automatically disappeared when I move mouse to, it's process neither. :(
I would try DN again later ^^

I think this is probably due to the problem mentioned above, you can try this to resolve it or wait for my new release later this week which should be quite a bit more stable:

Reactions: THD

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
I suspect this is due to a bug I found this week when setting the Hide main Window at startup option. Basically if this option is set the program crashes :mad:

I've fixed it in an interim build available here:

The new release available later this week will resolve this problem and a few others but if you can't wait try the installer above.

Reactions: MalwareT and MikeD

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I'm loosely considering the possibility of offering a paid version but as there are already free alternatives available I'm not sure how well that would work. My intention at the minute is to have a bit of fun developing it and see where it goes.

Please, please don't make it feature restricted and having a paid version. There are a lot of excellent and totally free download managers, like EagleGet, Free Download Manager, Xtreme Download Manager, it'll be tough to be compete. Moreover you're free to accept donations, and faithful users will be happy to donate.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
When we talk about media grabbing are we mainly talking about YouTube here or do you use IDM to download from other sites in FLV format?

I've tried IDM on a few sites and it doesn't seem to work on most, only on youtube?

Strange, I'm able to download any flash videos through IDM across various websites. It pops out a download button, and there you go. Moreover it works across any browsers, nearly 30 browsers it supports, but hey it's commercial right.

EagleGet also pops out a download button, for almost any video, but it works only on Chrome, Firefox, IE< Opera and Maxthon, while link downloads work on most browsers. It'll release v2 soon (which is in alpha), that will add multiple queue support and support for most browsers.

THD

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2014
What browser are you seeing this on? Are you seeing this on all downloads or only on downloads that would have opened the link in a new window anyway?
The second.

I think this is probably due to the problem mentioned above, you can try this to resolve it or wait for my new release later this week which should be quite a bit more stable:
Thank MikeD, I'll wait for the stable release. :)

MikeD

Level 4
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
The second.

OK, that's what I thought.. there is probably not a lot I can do there then as the browser has already opened a new window (due to the target=_blank in the link) before it tries to connect. I'll have a look though.

Is this in Chrome or FF? Or both?

MikeD

Level 4
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Please, please don't make it feature restricted and having a paid version. There are a lot of excellent and totally free download managers, like EagleGet, Free Download Manager, Xtreme Download Manager, it'll be tough to be compete. Moreover you're free to accept donations, and faithful users will be happy to donate.

At this point I can't see DN being released as a paid version.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
At this point I can't see DN being released as a paid version.

I meant in the future. We need excellent free alternatives for IDM. Anyway if the download manager includes a multiple-queue and media grabber, I'll be glad to donate, and am sure many others would follow.

One thing that I really don't like is feature restricted "free" DM's like DAP, IDA, FlareGet having either adware, or restricted features.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

MikeD

Level 4
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I meant in the future. We need excellent free alternatives for IDM. Anyway if the download manager includes a multiple-queue and media grabber, I'll be glad to donate, and am sure many others would follow.

One thing that I really don't like is feature restricted "free" DM's like DAP, IDA, FlareGet having either adware, or restricted features.

yes, that is what I meant, I can't see DN ever being a paid product.

I have seen quite a few download managers with pro versions but I have not yet seen any with Adware?

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
DownloadNinja-600x454.jpg

Downloading files is easy -- click a link, click “Save”, usually -- and if you need more features then most browsers have a range of free add-ons which can help.

But for real power there's no substitute for a stand-alone download manager like the new Download Ninja.

The program is entirely free, no adware, not as much as a “Donate” button. Just a 15MB download which quickly installs, leaving a new icon in your system tray.

Getting started is as simple as copying a link to the clipboard. A pop-up alert is displayed, and if you want to download the file, just click this, select "Quick Add", and it'll be added to Download Ninja's queue.

The program claims to support downloads from 200-plus media sharing sites, as well as regular http links (with authentication, if necessary). It can't handle ftp or BitTorrent, but still performs well for a relatively new tool.

By default Download Ninja uses up to ten simultaneous connections to improve performance. Files are still downloaded from the start to the finish, though, so you may be able to preview audio or video files before the download has finished.

There's plenty of control over the download process. Individual files can be added to the front of the queue, if they're high priority. You're able to assign files to separate queues, and they can be set up to run on different schedules, with individual bandwidth limits.

Extras include a "shred" option which securely deletes specified downloads, ensuring they can't be recovered later.

And if it's too much hassle to keep switching away from your browser, no problem -- Download Ninja has its own Chrome and Firefox extensions.

There are also some issues. We wanted the pop-up "link detected" alert to be displayed for longer, so we had more time to click it -- but this isn't configurable. And for some reason the Download Ninja window occasionally became an empty black rectangle, with nothing visible at all until it was refreshed (right-click the system tray icon, select Show…).

Still, considering Download Ninja had its first public release only seven weeks ago, a few technical problems are to be expected. Overall it's a promising download manager which shows real ambition, and we'll be interested to see where it goes next.
http://betanews.com/2014/08/02/download-ninja-is-a-fast-flexible-and-free-download-manager/

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
They should use correct units while mentioning data size and download speed.

Write "MB" instead of "mb"
Write "KB/s" instead of "kb/s"

Reactions: Malware1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.