Downloading an app or two developed in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I was looking at these 2 apps (needed). There are some alternatives that may work. My only concern is that they were made/developed in China, and apparently lots of malware comes out of there. Would you guys trust it to put on your freshly factory reset phone? (I have a strong security product already installed (Android 5.1.1).

I certainly don't mean to offend, nor am I classifying any group together. I know they have excellent developers overseas. Am I thinking too much? There were 400 apps removed from the Apple App store not long ago.

MY PILLBOX Pro (MEDS REMINDER) - Android Apps on Google Play

Mango Health - Android Apps on Google Play

Any guidance here?

Reactions: Logethica

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
I was looking at these 2 apps (needed). There are some alternatives that may work. My only concern is that they were made/developed in China, and apparently lots of malware comes out of there. Would you guys trust it to put on your freshly factory reset phone? (I have a strong security product already installed (Android 5.1.1).

I certainly don't mean to offend, nor am I classifying any group together. I know they have excellent developers overseas. Am I thinking too much? There were 400 apps removed from the Apple App store not long ago.

MY PILLBOX Pro (MEDS REMINDER) - Android Apps on Google Play

Mango Health - Android Apps on Google Play

Any guidance here?
Before installing the apps,check the permissions it asks,check them if it invades your privacy/security,if it displays ads,read few reviews about it on the google play store.If the app is genuine go ahead and install it :)

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Before installing the apps,check the permissions it asks,check them if it invades your privacy/security,if it displays ads,read few reviews about it on the google play store.If the app is genuine go ahead and install it :)

They are all requiring full network access (many apps are starting to/have

MyPillboxPro: (this version = no ads, rating 4.4) - website under construction, has several apps, no privacy policy ($1.99)

Version 1.1 can access:
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
Photos/Media/Files
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • access USB storage filesystem
  • read the contents of your USB storage
Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • full network access
  • view network connections
  • run at startup
  • modify system settings
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • install shortcuts
Mango: (this version = no ads, rating 4.5) -privacy policy they basically make it available to too many people) - Free

Version 1.12.5 can access:
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts
Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Other
  • run at startup
  • full network access
  • view network connections
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • use accounts on the device
  • create accounts and set passwords
  • draw over other apps

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

The permissions are similar to other apps, in the same/other category.
The privacy topic has become an abstract concept, if you want the app you have to accept this.

Of course before you install any app it is necessary to have an antivirus because history teaches that not all apps on the Store are clean.

Willim

Dec 17, 2015
How do you confirm apps that developed in China is not safe? I want to know. I used many products which made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.